Recommended transom plate options?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
At some point before my ownership, the transom plate on my boat was replaced with a piece of plywood (see pics). I don't know why the old one was removed or covered up. I can see there has been a fair amount of wear on the top edge of the transom from the outboard bracket.

The existing plywood is starting to get a little nasty. What would be a recommended replacement - another chunk of plywood, or are there better options? An aluminum or stainless steel option with a lip that hooks on my transom would solve 2 problems (replace the plywood, cover the worn transom edge).

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_173851.jpg
    IMG_20190423_173851.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_20190423_173901.jpg
    IMG_20190423_173901.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_20190424_201315.jpg
    IMG_20190424_201315.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,065
It may not have had one originally, some people add them when the wood starts getting rotten as a fix, some people add them because they don't like the dents that may occur when the engine is mounted.

Not the best angle to see. I use a piece of 1/4" aluminum. It's only bolted where the motor bolts on and works fine to help spread out the load.
06e88f44f521a7b0cfbfd5bde39cd28e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Not the best angle to see. I use a piece of 1/4" aluminum. It's only bolted where the motor bolts on and works fine to help spread out the load.

I'm new, so forgive me being a little off topic; but what is the metal flap-spring loaded thing that is behind your prop?

enwez said:
Weldorthemagnificent said:

I'm new, so forgive me being a little off topic; but what is the metal flap-spring loaded thing that is behind your prop?

It's a trolling plate. in the downward position it inhibits water flow and allows a larger motor to be slowed to a desirable speed for trolling. when it's up the motor can be used in it's full capacity. I've used them and they are nice, but can have drawbacks. once I upgraded to a 4stroke kicker I said bye bye to the trolling plate

You could replace it with a new sealed piece of plywood and get another several years..

I’d replace it with a piece of aluminum and it’ll last the rest of the life of the boat..

I cut out a piece of aluminum and bonded it to mine with 3m 5200 to cover some old mounting holes..

Yes a trolling plate. It was on the motor when I got it. It actually works decent and when in the up position, kinda works like a hydrofoil. I don't get much bow lift and it pops right out of the water.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts