Painting an aluminum boat help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf

Reaction score
I have an 23 ft ACB aluminum boat that I would like to paint.
I keep it in saltwater.
It has old paint, primer as well as some barnacle scaling on it.
Could someone give me some guidance on how to take it down to bare aluminum
and reprime and then repaint it?
Thanks

It's a lot of work! Aircraft stripper available at auto parts store..small sections at a time. Apply let sit and scrape...repeat... Then sanding, washing and prime and paint. Several options with paint. There are some good epoxies out there. I have had good luck with self etching primer and rustoleum with a hardener. Many many threads on this process.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Remember, any paint job is only as good as the preparation work. And aluminum can be tricky.

How are you gonna do the bottom? I personally despise the use of chemical strippers. I'd pressure wash the scale off first and then, assuming some of the scale is calcium based, I'd use gel lime-away, hot water and a good stiff brush and then maroon scotch-brite pads. Then with the bulk of the scale removed, you won't gum up sanding discs so quickly. I wouldn't necessarily worry about going all the way to bare aluminum because you'll have low spots from slight dimpling, scratches, etc.. After sanding, wash thoroughly with hot soapy water. Dawn dish soap has always worked well for me. Rinse clean and let dry thoroughly on it's own. Fans tend to introduce dirt, etc.. and compressed air might have a slight oil mist to it.

There is no need to go back to bare aluminum if the old paint still has good adherence.
Get the barnacles off, sand it and get the oil and grease off and paint it.
I have done some body work on a 19 foot boat and had good succes with rattle cans on a clean, smooth surface.

From Johnny:
All about Primers = https://www.tinboats.net/primer-and-paint-basics/

Paint, Thinners and Applications = https://www.paintingforpainters.com/

Saltwater:
Sand & Etch - Sand, don’t need to get bare, just remove loose paint. Then wipe it down, especially any bare tin spots, with white vinegar and copper scrubber pads to etch it, then rinse with water and let dry.

Anti-Fouling - Don’t waste your time with TriLux 33, you need a really good, which will be expen$ive, copper free’ anti-fouling paint suitable for use on an aluminum boat. And you must prime it well, I would use a two part epoxy-based zinc chromate primer.

That said, this year I am using the ‘copper free’ paint by Sea Hawk, only $130 per gallon, and it is rated as good as the Micron CVS by Interlux which co$ts $240 per gallon.

Latest posts