Float pod flooded with water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken360

Reaction score
Just bought a tracker grizzly 1860 cc with 90 hours. After two trips and after pulling the drain plugs on the float pods water cane streaming out. The culprit is the janky plastic plugs allowing water in on top of the float pod. It’s in both the pods

I intend to dry out the pod as best as possible and add foam to the foam block that is already in there. Then seal the plastic cover on top.

Is this my only option ?
How bad is this ?
Has anyone had this problem ?

Attachments

• 51A0409D-9F1F-4346-9AAD-823C35B566A5.jpeg
    51A0409D-9F1F-4346-9AAD-823C35B566A5.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,288
LDUBS said:
I don't have float pods so don't speak from any kind of experience.

Maybe try one of these in lieu of the plastic plug?

Thanks but actually it’s the hole on top the one on the stern is threaded no issues there. I funneled all the water out now I just have some wet foam in there. Not sure what else to do. Dry the foam as best as possible and add more foam ? And reinforce the top plug with epoxy and silicon.

If it was me I would try to get the foam that is in there out. You don't need it, you need it to be full of air, foam just adds weight and decreases the buoyancy. Foam will also hold water. Why didn't they put the drain plug at the bottom of the pod instead of half way up the side? That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

You can cut a hole into the top of the pod and dig out the foam, then get a piece of aluminum sheet metal and rivet and glue the plate over the hole, That is what I did when I mounted my pods, my boat did not come with pods and I added them.
1.jpg

6.jpg

26.jpg

I need to get a better picture of the final job, I used g-flex epoxy and also sealed up the pop rivets with the epoxy too.

I wouldn't add more foam and hopefully the foam that is in there isn't already water logged. The risk to adding more foam is that it becomes water logged. As long as the foam isn't waterlogged you're good to go. The foam that's already inside may be there to add some structural support. Only remove that if it's water logged.

Ken360 said:
LDUBS said:
I don't have float pods so don't speak from any kind of experience.

Maybe try one of these in lieu of the plastic plug?

View attachment 1

Thanks but actually it’s the hole on top the one on the stern is threaded no issues there. I funneled all the water out now I just have some wet foam in there. Not sure what else to do. Dry the foam as best as possible and add more foam ? And reinforce the top plug with epoxy and silicon.

Yep, that was what I understood. I would still replace that plastic plug with the expandable one. Or better yet, put on a threaded drain plug flange. I attached a pic of one below, but I believe it uses a 1/2" threaded plug. I would try to find one with a 1" plug if they make it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 10.29.43 AM.png

As far as the water logged form, I'm partial to RBO's comment to leave the existing foam in place. Maybe you can get some airflow going to help dry it out. How about removing both plugs then using a shop vac to move some air through the pods. Might help remove the moisture.

Be aware, that even ‘empty’, a sealed pod will still form water from condensation. You MUST remember that air molecules are much smaller than water molecules so while a vessel or pod may be ‘watertight’, it may not be ‘airtight’ and that ingress of air can condense.

Just yesterday I had to drill into the base of a SS leg of a T-Top, only 2-years old, where the 2” up-tube mates to a full diameter 2” tube & the down-tube is welded to the SS base 5” round, where the base was sealed to an angled king starboard pad w/ 5200.

But when I drilled up from below (rigging for new wiring to the hardtop) ... water came pouring out of my pilot hole ... I was stunned how much came out!

I never leave the drain plug in my pods so they air dry just fine, You might be able to leave it out in the sun with the plugs removed and it might dry out. I would defiantly seal that top plug hole up permanently though once it is dried out. I still can't understand the drain plug on that thing mid way up. What the heck?

surfman said:
I still can't understand the drain plug on that thing mid way up. What the heck?

I'm trying to look at it from a manufacturing view point... Like, having it right on the edge makes it harder to drill and weld... but then you just make it 1/2" from the bottom (which is plenty of clearance)... it just doesn't make sense!

I work in fluid processing and we build custom tanks out of polypro, stainless, hdpe, etc so its not like this is a foreign thing to me. My guys can get a welded drain plug almost flush to the bottom. It takes longer which makes it more expensive, but the 'cheap' option is making it a smidge farther from the bottom not half way up! Or on the bottom...

LDUBS said:
Probably one guy said "where should I put it?". Without really thinking the other guy said "in the center".

The may have been an old boss of mine, he liked everything to look "aesthetically pleasing" regardless of lack of functionality!

Latest posts