Adding hatch over batteries

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorbill

Reaction score
Hi, all. Last year I inherited a 1988 Lowe Angler Pro 16, which I believe would be considered a 1648. It’s my first boat and I’ve learned a lot by searching this forum the past few months. Now I could use some advice from you more experienced boat owners.

There are two battery trays under the stern casting deck, just behind the seats. It’s really difficult to wrangle a battery into the space, which is a long, low reach from the rear hatch. The space is open in the front, but the vertical space is just 4 inches. (Is that for ventilation for the portable gas tank?) So I would like to add one or two hatches so I can drop in the batteries. But there’s just 8 inches from the front edge of the deck to the seat pedestal, and the front of the deck is supported by a 2.5-inch wide piece of aluminum. I hope the attached photo tells the story.
back deck with notes.png
What would you recommend as far as adding hatches to access the batteries while still supporting the seat pedestal? I thought about moving the pedestal back, but I have just 4 inches of decking behind it. Alternatively, I could reorient the batteries and separate them enough to put in a hatch on either side of the pedestal. I appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

1960 yellowboat said:
How about moving the batteries for ward and using the spaces for storage. It will move some weight and help to trim out the boat.

Like under the bow deck? I thought about that but I've read so many opinions here both pro and con. Since the boat came with the battery trays in the stern I figured it was designed that way for balance. But maybe it was just to keep costs down.

juniorbill said:
1960 yellowboat said:
How about moving the batteries for ward and using the spaces for storage. It will move some weight and help to trim out the boat.

Like under the bow deck? I thought about that but I've read so many opinions here both pro and con. Since the boat came with the battery trays in the stern I figured it was designed that way for balance. But maybe it was just to keep costs down.

I'll add that the boat has a Suzuku 55/35 jet on it, if that makes a difference.

How about just to the rear of those two folding seats? Make or get drawers on rollers and put them under the deck with vertical doors so you can slide them out for maintenance.

1960 yellowboat said:
How about just to the rear of those two folding seats? Make or get drawers on rollers and put them under the deck with vertical doors so you can slide them out for maintenance.

I appreciate the idea but there are 3 connected livewell areas under both seats and the space between the seats. I wonder if I could wall off the one under the driver's seat (which is the one where it fills) and use the other 2 spaces for batteries. I'd have less livewell space then, but I'm no professional so I don't know if I need all that livewell space anyway. Although on a good fishing day my brother-in-law and I can get them fairly full. :D

I would move the batter(ies) to the front IF you have existing room. Otherwise I would move the pedestal back and add a full width hatch in front of it.

I guess I’ll go ahead and move the pedestal back as much as I can, squeeze in a hatch in front of it, and add some bracing underneath. I’d rather not move the batteries to the front and have to run new cables from the motor. I found out that even moving the starter battery into the livewell space would be a stretch for the cables. Thanks for the ideas.

Latest posts