Replaced main AUX switch today.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
The other day, some of my auxiliary items on the boat were acting intermittently. The Fishfinders were turning on and off on their own. Livewell pump was also doing strange things.

Yesterday morning, I took her out for an hour's fishing and NONE of the Aux. items worked at all. I still had a trolling motor, and the big motor was starting and running fine. But, nothing else worked, no matter how many times I pushed various buttons.

I assumed that it was a Ground issue or a fuse of some sort.

I checked a couple of fuses back on the main battery, but they were fine. I called the local Boat repair place and was told that they were FOUR weeks behind! Yikes. I told the guy that, at 79 years of age, crawling around the inside of the boat wasn't something that I wanted to do, but I couldn't give my boat up for a month.

He asked a few questions. One was Do I have a Master Switch?

This boat was bought used a year or so ago, and the guy who owned it before me had added a Master Switch. Turning that ON or OFF did nothing. The Boat Repair guy said "It might be the switch" and do I have a way to test it. Heck, I own a VOM, so the answer was YES.

Sure enough, the switch had failed. I, luckily, had another one that I had purchased for my other boat that I never got around to installing. With some time, and a couple of Umbrellas giving me shade, I replaced the Master Switch this morning and all appears well.

What a nice guy at the Boat Repair place! I will be certain to give them my business as needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cambridge-Battery-Isolator-Switch-300A/dp/B0758TGWBC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=battery+isolator+switch&qid=1558203474&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Latest posts