What primer to use for camo paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrusty

Reaction score
So I have a 1870 landau that i'm remodeling for a duck boat that has never had paint on it and still in the raw. I have decided to go with the styx river camo stencil kits in max 4 and I was wondering since duck boats usually get well used is it worth it to spend money on a gallon of primer like alumahawk just to paint over it with a camo job? Or should I just go on down to Walmart and get some self etching primer in whatever color and spray it after?

I also was wondering if anyone has used this styx river paint? Would It be better just trying to match the four cans they use to a different brand that more readily available and if so what brand do you suggest? While I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something like paint I also don't want to have to repaint it in a couple years if I decide to upgrade boats. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

On my boat I used the Rust Oleum self-etching primer in the spray cans on the bare areas of my hull (hull was already OD green) as well as the entire bare floor, deck and hatches that I installed. Then I sprayed on Parker's Duck Boat paint in sand tan through a HVLP sprayer. I then stenciled over the Parker's using Rust Oleum camo in the spray cans. All turned out great. The Parker's is extremely durable and super flat. The few places that chipped are from me dragging/running my boat through rocks/riffles and a spot or two on the floor from me being careless with my anchor. Other than that, all has held up great. Whatever you end up doing I would suggest you definitely get some sort of self-etching primer to properly prep the aluminum before painting. Will make for a much more durable and long lasting job.

BigTerp said:
On my boat I used the Rust Oleum self-etching primer in the spray cans on the bare areas of my hull (hull was already OD green) as well as the entire bare floor, deck and hatches that I installed. Then I sprayed on Parker's Duck Boat paint in sand tan through a HVLP sprayer. I then stenciled over the Parker's using Rust Oleum camo in the spray cans. All turned out great. The Parker's is extremely durable and super flat. The few places that chipped are from me dragging/running my boat through rocks/riffles and a spot or two on the floor from me being careless with my anchor. Other than that, all has held up great. Whatever you end up doing I would suggest you definitely get some sort of self-etching primer to properly prep the aluminum before painting. Will make for a much more durable and long lasting job.

Ok great, thanks! Did you use one of the harbor freight ones? and did you thin it with something? I will definitely prep it correctly and use a self-etching primer, just didn't know if I needed to get something better than the styx river se primer.

lrusty said:
Ok great, thanks! Did you use one of the harbor freight ones? and did you thin it with something? I will definitely prep it correctly and use a self-etching primer, just didn't know if I needed to get something better than the styx river se primer.

Yes, I used the harbor freight sprayer. Thinned the paint with about 15% paint thinner. I'm not familiar with the styx river se primer, but as long as it's self etching you should be fine.

BigTerp said:
lrusty said:

Yes, I used the harbor freight sprayer. Thinned the paint with about 15% paint thinner. I'm not familiar with the styx river se primer, but as long as it's self etching you should be fine.

ok awesome, thanks for the help!

Latest posts