fuel tank options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4203

Reaction score
So i been out of the game for awhile got a new tin boat need a fuel tank. thinking about getting this (link below)any other options motor is a 77 johnson 15hp

www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-Portable-Universal-Evinrude/dp/B07H455LBP/ref=pd_sbs_200_1/143-5848065-5848457?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07H455LBP&pd_rd_r=beb958f6-81f1-11e9-b06b-1967775fe31c&pd_rd_w=WhMII&pd_rd_wg=Tyr03&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=8VC178MWDVJFEBQFAB3Z&refRID=8VC178MWDVJFEBQFAB3Z

I have a 6 gallon and everyone told me to get a 3 gallon because of the reduced weight and size. I bought that exact fuel tank and i see no issues with it. If you do get it make sure where the line fits on, is tight, it just screws on. Mine was very loose and i had to tighten it. I have a 15 hp fourstroke on a 14 foot and anyone that chimed in said 3 gallons should be more then enough for a day of fishing.

You didn't say v hull or jon. For a v hull take a look at one of these. Helps to get weight forward. Moeller 6 gal bow tank. I have a '80 Johnson 15hp on a 14' and no problem with that long fuel line run.002.JPG

I vote 3 gal Yamaha tank & line. Change the motor end fitting to whatever you need. Why? Yamaha tank is the only one I know of that doesn't swell up when you leave it out in the sun. 3 gal? Depends on how far you're going....but for me, I rarely venture more than 10-12 miles from the ramp, so 3 gal is fine (25hp). Running that far mostly full throttle most of the time, and back--it will still have a gallon and a half or so left in the tank. With a 15hp 2 stroke, it will be "roughly" the same give or take. The other big issue was that with 6 gallons of gas, I found myself dumping out 5 gallons of it every 3-4 weeks because it'd start getting old before I used it up. I do the same with 3 gal tank, but a LOT less of it goes into the car or lawn mower.

Had an atwood tank. It broke at the seam while out fishing. Had a Moeller too and it would swell up something bad. Ran across a deal on a new yamaha tank and tried it-thus far there have been zero regrets. It is EPA compliant too. If you buy a new one, it's gonna set you back some-so is their fuel line, BUT, it's top notch quality stuff. The fuel line lasts a LONG time; to my knowledge nobody's ever talked about them falling apart, getting gooey, shrinking, hardening, etc. Mine was brand new in '13 and to this day is as pliable as any new one is.

Vented tanks? Good for allowing moisture into the fuel due to the vent. Also they'll allow fuel to evaporate so part of the fuel you put in it doesn't get used. Probably not a big deal on a 15hp outboard but still. I guess my frugality is showing.

turbotodd said:
I vote 3 gal Yamaha tank & line. Change the motor end fitting to whatever you need. Why? Yamaha tank is the only one I know of that doesn't swell up when you leave it out in the sun. 3 gal? Depends on how far you're going....but for me, I rarely venture more than 10-12 miles from the ramp, so 3 gal is fine (25hp). Running that far mostly full throttle most of the time, and back--it will still have a gallon and a half or so left in the tank. With a 15hp 2 stroke, it will be "roughly" the same give or take. The other big issue was that with 6 gallons of gas, I found myself dumping out 5 gallons of it every 3-4 weeks because it'd start getting old before I used it up. I do the same with 3 gal tank, but a LOT less of it goes into the car or lawn mower.

Had an atwood tank. It broke at the seam while out fishing. Had a Moeller too and it would swell up something bad. Ran across a deal on a new yamaha tank and tried it-thus far there have been zero regrets. It is EPA compliant too. If you buy a new one, it's gonna set you back some-so is their fuel line, BUT, it's top notch quality stuff. The fuel line lasts a LONG time; to my knowledge nobody's ever talked about them falling apart, getting gooey, shrinking, hardening, etc. Mine was brand new in '13 and to this day is as pliable as any new one is.

Vented tanks? Good for allowing moisture into the fuel due to the vent. Also they'll allow fuel to evaporate so part of the fuel you put in it doesn't get used. Probably not a big deal on a 15hp outboard but still. I guess my frugality is showing.

Ad a splash of seafoam to every tank and your fuel will stay good for months. Also pretty much every gasoline fuel tank is vented,

Latest posts