Painting over the original Lowe paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
When I purchased my used 2006 Lowe 1756 a few years ago, it had a black hull. Looked neat. The owner said he had painted it. I ASSUMED that he had properly prepped the hull before painting.

Yesterday I was forced, by the wind, into rubbing the side of the boat along a dock. An entire one-foot high, five-foot-long strip of the black paint was missing when I pulled her from the water. It would appear that he simply painted over the original green finish.

My plan was to lightly sand the original finish; rub her down with alcohol or paint thinner...and then either spray or brush on some Rustoleum Gloss Black. I do know that Rustoleum Gloss Black was the paint that he used. Since I have to match and flow the new paint into the old black finish, that is what I intend to use. I do not want to re-paint the entire boat. Is there a Rustoleum Primer that is appropriate for use over Painted aluminum?

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Rustoleum professional primer
It comes in a spray

Clean the old paint
Sand with 300-400 grit
Wash surface with rubbing alcohol or acetone
Spray a coat of Rustoleum professional primer

5ABC4FDD-ADCA-4258-A924-441566ED5D00.jpeg

I'd bet that they didn't bother to sand either.

If you do a good job cleaning and sanding over original paint, it really provides a good substrate for top coats.

Latest posts