tubing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My wife and daughter have decided that they would like to try tubing.

So I have a couple of questions, first off the boat that I have is a G3 1544 flat bottom with a 25 hp Yamaha.

So my questions are if I were to do this would I put enough strain on the transom to tear it up? and is there anything that I could do to minimize the strain on the boat? all it has is handles welded to it and the corner braces are welded to the boat so it looks stout enough to handle it but I just don't know.

I know this not an ideal boat for this but it is all I have and a new boat is not going to happen till my truck is paid off.
I am not concerned about speed right now either since it is new to them.
I just want to make sure that I won't tear something up and have a bad day.

Tubes can dig in (submarine) suddenly & pull really hard on the boat. This could be a capsizing event if you were in a turn at the time.

I would not recommend using a light tin boat for tubing..

I’ve done it on smaller tins, but this is what I do:

OB Motor - I put on a spare prop of at least 2” lower pitch, so I don’t lug the motor.

Hull - I took a spare anchor rode 3/8” nylon, and went around & through the stern eyes a few times, up and around/under the middle seat, and around the stern cleats, if affixed. That way the tube was being pulled by the whole boat.

Worked, this on a Lund w/ a 28hp Johnson SPL, not the fastest ride, but the kids had fun. Be aware that in some locales or State, there must be 2 people in the boat, the OB operator and an observer, for safety. Also have some basic hand signals known beforehand.

Have fun!

Back when I was a kid I knew an older gentleman that taught his grandkids how to ski behind an old semi v jon boat with a small outboard. That is why i asked this question.
Thank you for the replies.

Latest posts