Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I saw a CL listing of a boat that's the same model as mine. It was painted gloss black with modern decals, and it looked GOOD. Needless to say, I wanna paint mine.

The factory paint from 1984 is still decent, but chalky and dull. The boat is straight and shouldn't require much body work.

For prep, should I use a cup brush and take it down to bare aluminum, or just scuff it with a DA?

What about primer? I've read aluminum oxide, self etching, zinc phosphate, zinc chromate, what is best?

I'll be spraying, HVLP. Gloss black, or metallic black.

If your paint is still on there and not flaking, there is no better primer. Just lightly sand before painting.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I'm using on recommendation from my boat shop: PPG ALK 200, etcher and primer. However, it is flat no sheen. If you have an automotive specialty paint shop, they can get you a mix for rough service farm machinery.
Why there is a specialty paint shop in this tiny mountain county, I don't know. But they were a great help. Make sure to sand/prep/clean.

That would have saved me $20. I have a few spots of bare from stripping so it all gets done.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered a black metallic single stage enamel kit, and two quarts of epoxy primer.

I'm still undecided about removing the original paint. There is an area on each side (probably 2x12 inches) where the paint has rubbed through from contact with the side bunks.

Would feathering and priming those areas only, and simply scuffing the rest of the paint, be subpar?

I painted mine with a flat enamel paint instead of gloss. I sanded the original factory paint just enough to scuff and remove dirt. I had a few spots that were bare aluminum and a few more once the sanding was done. Those spots got hit with an etching primer and sanded after. There have been no problems doing it that way.

If you haven't sprayed a gloss finish before, prep is everything.Every single tiny imperfection will become very obvious when painted with gloss. That's why I choose a flat. I didn't have the patience to spend the time prepping.

Alright guys, double check my prep work.

1. Peeled decals with heat gun and razor. Then went back with adhesive remover and a razor to get the goop off.
2. Hit the whole thing with an orbital sander and 220 grit. Sanded all paint scratches down to the aluminum.
3. Used a green scotch brite pad on the riveted seams, and everywhere else as well, to scuff up the areas that sandpaper would not reach, and remove any dirt that was embedded in the paint.
4. Final wash with soapy water, and rinsed with the hose.

I have been taping edges and getting plastic hung up, hoping to get paint on within the next few days. I decided to clear it, instead of just sticking with single stage. Was the scotch brite pad abrasive enough to scuff the paint?

Latest posts