Anchor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianlt21

Reaction score
I need an anchor for PA Mostly fishing in the river but my bot is 14' deep v just need something to hold and don't what to take 5 different anchor of even by them to try which one works the best

I use a 12# mushroom anchor, and where I fish is pretty much a mud bottom, and on windy days the boat will still tend to drift occasionally. A heavier mushroom anchor may work for you, but can't say for sure as I've never fished a river current.

Any river fishermen out there that can add some input!? :)

I prefer river anchors myself, and I fish mainly lakes & reservoirs. Since you should have 2 anchors, you can always use them both off the bow. In swift current don't anchor off the transom. I'd get a couple #12 river anchors.

Also, I use 2' of chain off the anchors and attach the rope to it, it'll save a lot of abrasion on the rope from underwater debris.

ST

I have 2 different styles of anchors. You really should have 2 anchors and I figure with 2 styles it allows me to match the bottom better. I use a slip ring fluke style and a river anchor
Slip Ring
Slip_ring_anchor.jpg

River Anchor
River_anchor.jpg

I have 6 feet of chain on the slip ring anchor to maximize the anchors digging effect.

The biggest thing is to have a high line to depth ratio. I usually use a minimum of 4:1, if not more. It helps it set better, and dig in tighter.

You do not want to anchor with a Fluke Style (Danforth) anchor in most PA rivers unless you want to donate some structure to the river - we have freestone and limestone rivers here and they will not release your anchor once it get under the rocks

For fast water consider using a chain system or half moon anchor when using it on rocks or gravel bottoms

MRW-anchors.jpg

chain.gif

I use the mushroom style fishing the New River. I've been in some pretty swift water and didn't have a problem. As bassboy1 mentioned the amount of line you have out helps ALOT. Sears 1232 flat bottom.

I can remember using 5 pound coffee cans (back when coffee came in 5 pound cans) and filling them with cement and sticking a large eye bolt in the wet cement to use for anchors. Some had chain, most didn't.

dedawg1149 said:
ihave used the gallon coffee cans with cement for years works good on a light johnboat
we use to use them all the time but drilled 4 3/4 in holes in the can at the bottom and then ran 2 3/4 x12"pices of rebar though the cans then filled them with cement

dedawg1149 said:
ihave used the gallon coffee cans with cement for years works good on a light johnboat

Mine weighs about 40 to 50 pounds in it's current configuration.I recently measured my jon thinking it looked smaller than a 1030.It measured 27" across the bottom on the outside and 32 across the top rails.It measured 9'11" long.I think my boat shrank from all the warm weather. :LMFAO:

ben2go said:
dedawg1149 said:

Mine weighs about 40 to 50 pounds in it's current configuration.I recently measured my jon thinking it looked smaller than a 1030.It measured 27" across the bottom on the outside and 32 across the top rails.It measured 9'11" long.I think my boat shrank from all the warm weather. :LMFAO:
you might want to chack the plug it might have diarrhea you know the sguirts :LMFAO: :LMFAO:

Here's an interesting anchor I recently ran across, the author speaks pretty highly of it too.

https://www.catfishing.tv/Main/tips-section/odwcanchor.html

ST

Neat link! Basically it's styled after what's referred to as an Old Fashioned nchor. The rebar or round stock will work well, but I'd have a nice sharp knife handy to cut the line if that thing ever gets stuck and you can't retreive it :wink:

Waterwings said:
I'd have a nice sharp knife handy to cut the line if that thing ever gets stuck and you can't retreive it :wink:
And I'd say odds are "fair" that might happen at some point in time. On the up-side, making it out of rebar would be cheap of you can weld your own.......might see another future project :wink:

ST

Latest posts