16’lund transom rebuild/upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzerd

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here.
Love how many cool builds and upgrade/mod threads there are.
I’ve been sifting through a bunch of them, and I haven’t found the info I’m looking for yet.
The project I’m starting, like it says is a transom upgrade/rebuild.
The transom in my old Lund is getting pretty old, just your regular three bench 16’ Lund.
Don’t know what year it is.

Now I’m planning on “upgrading” my transom from a short leg to a long leg transom.
I understand most of what I’m in for here, I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips for my rebuild.
Anything I should look out for, and plan for.
It seems fairly straight forward, and I have access to a lot of equipment to help me along.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you will have to redo your transom cap, but if you look into my build info, posts & pictures of the 16’ StarCraft, I too went from a shorter transom to a taller and narrower one where the outboard was mounted. I used to aluminum channel to form a new cap and it came out great!

I’d imagine a Lund transom replacement would be like the one posted in my 16’ Sea Nymph rebuild info, very straight forward.

Here's what I did to a customer who had a short shaft boat but found a really good deal on a long shaft motor.

Attachments

• adams.jpg
    adams.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 690
  • adams2.jpg
    adams2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 690
That’s a beauty mod.
That’s what I’m looking to end up with.
The aluminum is not my worries.
I specialize in thin aluminum. It’s the wood I’m worried about. Is it alright to just use regular plywood.
I’m going to seal it real good with some great epoxy.
And do you put the wood in with some glue to seal up the compartment for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this last year and raised the transom 2".

I doubled 3/4" plywood and sealed it with West systems epoxy.

An 1.5" aluminum this wall channel (Square corners on the inside) and it turned out great.

Latest posts