How to determine the floor height location?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a floor in a 14' semivee and Im curious how to proceed. This will be a full floor with rod lockers on the sides and two pedestal seats.

I want the floor to be at the bottom/Gunwale seam in the back near the transom which seems like a good overall height throughout about 2/3 of the boat, but near the front this seam curves up.

When the boat is in the water with the wife and I in it this seam is fairly level until that forward 1/3, which then rises a bit.

Should I just follow the seam throughout or should I follow it for the rear most 2/3 then keep it flat (ie under the seam) for the rest?

Your thoughts?

Got a pic? I lay something straight across the benches to see if they're even and use them as a measuring point.

I suggest before you remove the benches take some measurement by placing a straight edge side to side on the gunwales and measure down to the top of the bench seats. On my lund, I used the top of the seats to be a fair indication of level. I'm not saying you need to make that your height but it will allow you to use the gunwales height as your point of reference.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,
I'm resurrecting this thread because this is the exact point that I'm at in my build. I started a thread on pinhole leaks in the mod vee section if you want to see pics. On my Lunker 16 the floor rises about 1.5 inches from along the keel from the rear bench to the front bench. My question is, when I install the floor, should I make the floor level to the ground, or follow the taper of the boat bottom.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48545

The way I see it, make it level and the space between the floor and keel will decrease as you move forward, limiting underfloor storage somewhat, but it will be level. Or, make the floor parallel to the keel so the underfloor depth is the same, but now your standing on a slight ramp.

I'm not sure if slightly ramped is good or bad when on the water as I'm brand new to boating, or if the level vs sloped floor will have any bearing on occupants perceived stability or comfort.

Thanks, John.

Latest posts