Fuel Hose Connector Leaking Gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO8853

Reaction score
I have an 1982 Evinrude 7.5 HP that I'm trying to get running (Model E8RCNR), but I can't get the fuel hose I purchased to work. I purchased what I thought was the correct fuel hose (Model # 5008609) and even purchased the OMC version that was like $60, but it doesn't fit the motor or the tank connections. As you can see in the pics, the connector is not deep enough to for the barb to go all the way in and is also to big to clear the motor connection.

The connector I purchased for the tank says it connects to part # 33480-10. When I google this part it looks just like the one I currently have, but I'm hoping it is a different size and will work.

Can someone please comment and explain what the heck I'm doing wrong. Does Evinrude have two different fuel connector sizes?

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 989
I hate to say it but you're putting it on backwards. The top of the connector with the spring loaded clip goes on the barbed part; just flip the connector 180 degrees. Make sure you pay attention to the gas flow arrow on the primer ball when installing the hose.

Lol.. you bought left hand connectors, after 1979 they started using right hand connectors.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

:) lol... I watched a YouTube video a few mins ago and finally figured out I had it backwards. I’m just glad I don’t have to buy a new fuel hose

Thanks again for the help. I rebuilt the carb, replaced water pump, changed lower gear oil and replaced spark plugs. She fired up after a bit of messing around now she idles nicely on the slow setting.... man it feels good to get an old motor running.

Now I'm having some issues with leaks at the gas tank. The leaks look to be coming from where the Evinrude connector screws into the gas connector (not the gas line) and also at the gas tank swivel point. Has anybody had any luck using some tape or sealant on these plastic threads and if so, what type did you use? I've searched and found Rectorseal #7 that works with gasoline, but I'm not sure its compatible with plastic. I also found some Teflon tape that works with Gasoline that I'm guessing would work on plastic, but I've always use used a liquid sealant with natural gas lines on my house and would prefer that route bc it eliminates the possibility of small pieces of tape clogging the carb jets down the road.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 912
That's a strange, to me, set up you have. All my tanks have had a barbed fitting on the tank that the hose is connected to with the Evinrude engine fitting on the other end.

The fuel line is an authentic Evinrude gas hose and that’s the way it came with Evinrude fittings on both ends.

I put some thread sealant on it last night and all my leaks are gone.

Latest posts