Fish Whacker picture request

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
I would be most appreciative of pictures of what you all are using as far as fish whackers/clubs go. I am thinking about making one. I'm especially interested in clubs that have a mount or sheath attached to the boat. My plan is to leave mine mounted in the boat all the time. Thanks.

jethro said:
I just use my cheap fish gripper. It's a knock off of a Boga Grip.

The ones I've seen in stores seem kind of light. I thought maybe a bit more weight would make for an easier kill. What do you think?

OK, I don't have a picture, but here is how I made mine. I took a length of old closet rod. I think it is 1 ' or 1 1/4" or so. I drilled a hole down one end as deep as I could go (maybe 4.5 - 5"). Filled the hole with some old lead shot & epoxy. Then put a wood plug in the end with epoxy. Whole thing is about a foot long. Not really a thing of beauty but has some clobbering power.

PS: My Dad called it a "priest". Kind of obvious why I guess.

LDUBS said:
OK, I don't have a picture, but here is how I made mine. I took a length of old closet rod. I think it is 1 ' or 1 1/4" or so. I drilled a hole down one end as deep as I could go (maybe 4.5 - 5"). Filled the hole with some old lead shot & epoxy. Then put a wood plug in the end with epoxy. Whole thing is about a foot long. Not really a thing of beauty but has some clobbering power.

PS: My Dad called it a "priest". Kind of obvious why I guess.

That's more of what I had in mind. I bet it gets the job done just fine.

Buzzbait said:
A short (12-14") chunk of coated heavy cable would work...

Go to an electrical supply house and see if you can get an end piece 500MCM from the spool or if they will sell a foot long piece.

Idea came to be at work...I found a piece of really thick cable.... almost totally ridgid. Takes a lot of effort to bend even slightly. I smacked it against some concrete and it barely bent and didn't bounce... almost like a dead blow hammer. I thought it would be about perfect for a fish knocker-outter. Piece was about 12-14" long...and about 1" think. Heavy vinyl coating and copper..... probably be hard to corrode too...

bikerider said:
The ones I've seen in stores seem kind of light. I thought maybe a bit more weight would make for an easier kill. What do you think?

The one I got is pretty heavy, but I am fishing mostly trout and salmon and it's a rare day I need to dispatch a fish more than 18-22" so it doesn't take much.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Buzzbait said:
A short (12-14") chunk of coated heavy cable would work...

Go to an electrical supply house and see if you can get an end piece 500MCM from the spool or if they will sell a foot long piece.

That stuff look beefy.

Buzzbait said:
Idea came to be at work...I found a piece of really thick cable.... almost totally ridgid. Takes a lot of effort to bend even slightly. I smacked it against some concrete and it barely bent and didn't bounce... almost like a dead blow hammer. I thought it would be about perfect for a fish knocker-outter. Piece was about 12-14" long...and about 1" think. Heavy vinyl coating and copper..... probably be hard to corrode too...

Not a bad idea.

I use a machete. There are two types of fish where I am, fish you want and fish that jump in your boat. When I get the boat jumpers ( Asian Carp ) they meet the sharp side of the machete. They are invasive and should not be released alive. I keep the heads and tails for trotlines. Catfish love them
For the fish I want to keep, I use the flat side of the blade to stun them long enough to go in the cooler. It is also handy for that occasional snake that may fall in the boat.

FormerParatrooper said:
I use a machete. There are two types of fish where I am, fish you want and fish that jump in your boat. When I get the boat jumpers ( Asian Carp ) they meet the sharp side of the machete. They are invasive and should not be released alive. I keep the heads and tails for trotlines. Catfish love them
For the fish I want to keep, I use the flat side of the blade to stun them long enough to go in the cooler. It is also handy for that occasional snake that may fall in the boat.

Snakes falling in the boat! Holy moley, I don't want go fishing where snakes will get in my boat. :shock: :shock:

I'll have to take a picture of the two types that I have. One is aluminum and the other is wood. Both look like mini baseball bats, and both are equally effective. I use mine on salmon and trout, some weighing over 20 pounds. I can't remember where I got them, but it might've been Bass Pro or Gander Mountain before they were bought out by Gander Outdoors. I'm pretty sure I got the aluminum one from Bass Pro. It's about 18" long, it looks like this one from their web site. This is similar to the ones we used when I fished the Gulf of Mexico back in the 1990's.

ATTACH]

LDUBS said:
FormerParatrooper said:

Snakes falling in the boat! Holy moley, I don't want go fishing where snakes will get in my boat. :shock: :shock:

You haven't lived until a 4 footer drops out of the tree into your boat. :lol:

A few places I go have some trees that overhang pretty good, good shade and I seem to catch more in the shade to sun line. I even had a squirrel fall out and into my boat, that was funny, he looked at me and went overboard.

Latest posts