New member, about to buy a Grizzly 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanR-PA

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the useful info I’ve got off this forum. I thought it was finally time to join. I moved to a small lake in PA last year to be able to fish and duck/goose hunt every second I can. I’ve been doing this out of a kayak for years, but I finally decided it was time to upgrade. After talking with an Alumacraft dealer for a couple months, it didn’t seem they had what I was looking for. My lake is limited to 20 HP, do a 1754 wasn’t a possibility, and Alumacraft’s 1650 is just really tight with the floor plan and very expensive. I started looking at Trackers and the Grizzly 1648 SC just seemed perfect for me. I know they have a varied reputation based on who you ask, but the 2 guys I know who have grizzlys love them. So I signed the paperwork and am waiting on their call, which if I don’t like exactly where their financing terms are I’ll just go to my credit union.

My package includes:
Grizzly 1648 SC Blind Duck Edition in Camo
Mercury 20 hp ELPT Outboard (highest I can go)
Minn Kota Terrova 80 lb 24 v I pilot with foot pedal/ two batteries
Minn Kota Precision Charger for TM batteries
Helix 7 SI GPS G3 Fish Finder (mounted on console)
Minn Kota charger for starting battery
Trailer

This boat is going to be used for getting me to and from the blind during goose/duck season and then be mainly used for bass fishing and trolling for musky/pike the rest of the year. Any opinions on how this set up will fit my needs? Any tips for a new Jon boat owner? I’ve researched to the point my eyes hurt, but any comments and tips are much appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

Looks like a nice rig. I had a Merc 25HP ELPT and thought it was a fantastic outboard. Like my 25, I suspect your 20 HP is by Tohatsu which has a very reliable rep. Additionally, I have what I guess is an older technology Helix 7 (mine lacks CHIRP). I have been very happy with it.

Come back with some pic's if you get a chance.

That’s good to hear, I’ll be posting a lot of pictures whenever I pick it up. They had one in stock that I actually had them hold. I went out and checked the vin number of the one outside I fell in love with, and it was the exact boat.
I’m heading down to FL to fish the St Johns river for a week, so hopefully everything’s good to go when I get back.
Here’s a picture I took when I was looking at it.

Attachments

• 7F0B9528-0A4E-4BE5-925E-3BE021C45E33.jpeg
    7F0B9528-0A4E-4BE5-925E-3BE021C45E33.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,331
I own a 2019 grizzly 1648 sc..40hp..I think it's an excellent choice. Quite sure you'll be really happy with it...

I have a 1648 Tracker Grizzly Blind Duck with a 40/30 Yamaha tiller jet on it. Mine has a gun box on the port side and a small dry box on the starboard, I was surprised at how much stuff I could fit in that gun box! :lol:
So far no complaints and I love the TRAC system that is on them, you can easily fabricate brackets for add ons and use 1/4" carriage bolts to attach the brackets.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I just called in to upgrade the trolling motor to a Terrova with i pilot link and upgraded the humminbird to the G3N system so I can connect them. Can’t wait to get it!

I’ve got a 2019 1648 Mvx . Same boat no console. I fish electric only. Same bow mount w/o link. Helix 10 g2n at the bow with 360 and a helix 9 si g3n at the tiller. Your far better of to get the networkable units. That way you and company can see all the same stuff. In my boat what’s good for one is good for all:) I will recommend the remote for the helix . When I fish by my self I can control the other finder from where I’m fishing in the boat. It’s a heavy boat . Slow to react when I walk around in it, which I love. All in all it’s been a great boat so far.

WallyC,
Yea I’m going with the Helix 7 G3N SI DI to start out. How’s that 80 lb Terrova pushing your boat around? I finally completed all my paperwork with the loan. Pick it up July 24th!

It’s fine . #3 it moves pretty well at a slow pace . The boat with bow mount only it’ll do almost 4mph

BryanR-PA said:
WallyC,
Yea I’m going with the Helix 7 G3N SI DI to start out. How’s that 80 lb Terrova pushing your boat around? I finally completed all my paperwork with the loan. Pick it up July 24th!

Now the hardest part.... waiting!

enwez said:
Now the hardest part.... waiting!

Boy oh boy, I hear you brother. But I guarantee it will be worth the wait.

When I ordered the current boat I got the dreaded call saying it would be a month or more longer than the original delivery date. Dealer ended up agreeing to add my options to his showroom model and let me take that one instead.

I have a grizzly 1654. I really like it for both duck hunting and fishing. I also rent it out for fishing. I got the 54 due to its stability...and it is really stable.....but that also comes with extra weight. I've done a ton of modifications to it which is fun. Never wanted a steering column as it takes up space in the boat...... rod storage is the only issue...and you'll see that in the 48 as well . Mine is a tank....the day I ground it on a sandbar is going to suck.
I have a 12v 54" 55lb thrust Terrova which pulls it great....I've had no issue in the wind holding a spot yet, nor battery running down ...... saved the extra battery weight.
have humminbird helix 7 in front and helix 9 SI in the back networked.
also have 40hp merc with jackplate.

Last edited:
My son had a Grizzly 1448 tiller. Heavy duty boat and as has been mentioned, a rail system that was easy to adapt to.

PS: Curious if you are near the northern PA border, east side of the state.

I don't love the Tracker brand, but I really, really like the Grizzly boats. I think they got that one right.

Enjoy the new boat!

Latest posts