Repairing split seam on livewell- 5200, Gluvit, Totalboat leak sealer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBNole

Reaction score
New member with my first boat. Great forum, I have already learned a lot from you guys. My boat is a 1996 Seaark 1652 MVT. I have searched through the posts, but want to be sure I am making a good choice on this repair, since it it a pain to see the leak once everything is back together.
As I was going through the boat I realized the side console aluminum livewell was leaking. The seam between the side vertical panel and the bottom panel has split. My first thought was to cut a section of 1/16 aluminum angle and sandwich it to the seam with 5200. I have also read a lot here on the wonders of Gluvit and I also found a product by Total boat called "aluminum boat sealer". I have not been able to find much on the Total boat product at all and just wanted to see what you might recommend to repairing a split like this.
Thanks in advance!

I know most guys here are DIY guys, but if it was my boat, and the leaking seam was somewhat accessible, I’d take it to a guy who could weld aluminum and do a permanent fix.

IMHO that $20 kit of G-Flex 650 from West Systems would fix it permanently. Look up the posts I’ve posted on it repairing huge holes in a tin canoe. FYI, it is a flexible epoxy product.

As a bonus, you would have extra on hand for the future, i.e., leaky rivets, etc.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am going to use some gflex with fiberglass cloth and see how that does.

Latest posts