Question about carpet and aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropinbrix

Reaction score
Years ago i built an aluminum frame for my deck and the plywood I used rotted out. Now I got aluminum for the deck, Ive cut it and now I need to know when to attach it to the frame. Before or after I carpet it. Do I rivet it down and try to carpet over it or carpet it and screw it down?

I'd think its mostly preference. Both methods seem like it'd work fine.

Easier to carpet it before it is screwed down, but if you screw it first you can hide the screws under the carpet. So it may look nicer to carpet after you screw it down. But what if you can do a much nicer carpet job when it isn't screwed down? Pros and cons but either way should be fine.

I think this has been my least helpful comment ever.... but anyways I'm interested to see which direction you go and how it turns out!

Thanks for trying though. Im wondering how to roll the edges of the carpet if its already riveted down.

I would carpet then screw down. That way, it will be easy if you ever have to pull up a section for repair or whatever. Just use pan or truss head screws. Space them with some forethought and it will look great.

If you use screws with a small head, like small, oval head screws they will countersink themselves in the carpet and you basically won't see them. I like this the best because it's easy to pull panels up if you ever need to re-carpet or anything.

Latest posts