For those of you with bimini tops

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
How do you like it? Pros/cons? I'm interested especially on smaller boats (12-14 ft or so) Is it exclusively a stay out of the sun on hot days thing or does it have other uses?

I had a bimini top on my previous boat which was a 15' klamath. I used it primarily for shade on hot sunny days and it worked pretty well for that. Same for rain, but I was never out in more than a drizzle. I would say a key design consideration is that you be able to stand up under the bimini.

Pros: Well, they do work. You might think that being open sided they might not be that effective, but actually they work pretty well for keeping the sun off. They are easy to put up and take down. Don't add any appreciable weight.

Cons: Practically all of my fishing is trolling. It could get in my way when fighting a fish. I would release it and let it fold forward if I had something decent on. If your typical day is casting around the boat then I could see how having a bimini could be a pain. I think this is significant. There must be a reason you don't see biminis on bass boats. If that is your fishing style, you will want to hear from some bass fishermen. If you fold the top down, it could still possibly get in your way depending on how you use your boat. I folded mine forward. It was ahead of the steering console and not in my way. But, I don't fish out of the bow of my boat. If you use a bow mounted trolling motor maybe fold it towards the rear - IDK.

I don't have one on my current (larger) boat because it is a windshield boat and the forward part of my canvass top snaps onto the top of the windshield. I have enough open deck space that it doesn't get in my way like the old bimini could. I pretty much use the top 100% of the time I'm out on the boat.

LDUBS said:
I had a bimini top on my previous boat which was a 15' klamath. I used it primarily for shade on hot sunny days and it worked pretty well for that. Same for rain, but I was never out in more than a drizzle. I would say a key design consideration is that you be able to stand up under the bimini.

Pros: Well, they do work. You might think that being open sided they might not be that effective, but actually they work pretty well for keeping the sun off. They are easy to put up and take down. Don't add any appreciable weight.

Cons: Practically all of my fishing is trolling. It could get in my way when fighting a fish. I would release it and let it fold forward if I had something decent on. If your typical day is casting around the boat then I could see how having a bimini could be a pain. I think this is significant. There must be a reason you don't see biminis on bass boats. If that is your fishing style, you will want to hear from some bass fishermen. If you fold the top down, it could still possibly get in your way depending on how you use your boat. I folded mine forward. It was ahead of the steering console and not in my way. But, I don't fish out of the bow of my boat. If you use a bow mounted trolling motor maybe fold it towards the rear - IDK.

I don't have one on my current (larger) boat because it is a windshield boat and the forward part of my canvass top snaps onto the top of the windshield. I have enough open deck space that it doesn't get in my way like the old bimini could. I pretty much use the top 100% of the time I'm out on the boat.

Thank you for the insightful information. You mentioned a few things I did not consider.

All good points made above! Once you reach 16’, I feel bimini storage when NOT in use is a ‘no brainer’. I just the the main mounting points so that when stowed it is just forward enough of the OB to allow the motor to trim all the way up. As others stated, many times whilst fishing I just flipped it forward over the windshield. One could easily step over it to get to the bow.

9694F7E8-74FB-4E02-9A22-B39806BC7A76.jpeg

DaleH said:
All good points made above! Once you reach 16’, I feel bimini storage when NOT in use is a ‘no brainer’. I just the the main mounting points so that when stowed it is just forward enough of the OB to allow the motor to trim all the way up. As others stated, many times whilst fishing I just flipped it forward over the windshield. One could easily step over it to get to the bow.

9694F7E8-74FB-4E02-9A22-B39806BC7A76.jpeg

They also make T-track mounts so you can slide the tops back/forth as needed.

Hav one on my 1756 cc. I bass fish and it presents no problems for 2 guys. If I bring a 3d I just take it off . 2 Phillips heads. Mine covers my cockpit and leaves both decks open. Lifesaver in the summer in ga. Put on boat beginning of June take off in September.can run wot at 33+ mph no issues.280$ Westland sand colored. Will get tracks soon to slide it further back when I’m alone. Use split pool noodles when I’m towing to deaden vibration anecdote slop. Slide them on tops tubes in down position.i can’t think of any cons to having one

Latest posts