star/smokercraft alaskan 12 TL

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffhunter

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever owned or ridden in a starcraft / smokercraft alaskan 12 TL? Has 56in transom width and 63in beam, 24in sides. Curious to how stable it is with standing and side to side moving. Neat looking little boat and found some online photos
https://www.verles.com/New-Inventory-2019-SmokerCraft-Boat-Alaskan-12-TL-Shelton-Washington-5146275

and it looks wide on a trailer. I recently rode in an old meyer pro 14 with 44 or 46in transom width. I thought it was a unstable trying to get in, wanted to kick away and roll with dad at the transom seat. Really felt his movements and rolled very easily. My dad thought it was fine but it felt real tippy to me. Would this boat give the same feeling or stay more put/stable with a wider transom. thanks

Nice looking deep hull, which I really like, but oddly it doesn’t look beamy enough to me. I don’t find too many 12’ V-hull tins to be super stable to the point of standing & walking around in them willy-nilly.

I had an old Sears Gameking v-hull 12’ with rounded chines that was just DEADLY! Couldn’t sell it fast enough and thus upgraded to this older 80s vintage Starcraft and would say she’s as stable as you’re going to get in a little tin. I can stand as long as I am in the center of the boat. The hull floor is practically flat behind the rear seat, buts gets more ‘V’ as you move forward.

I added a folding/swivel seat to the rear seat - to starboard, and another to the middle seat - to port. So whereas I boat in the salt and there’s usually chop, current or boat wakes to deal with, at least I have something to ‘hang’ onto if/when moving around.

You may not be able to see it too well in the picture at the stern, but she has a strong, sharp garboard transition, with a spray chine that projects out from the hull, which adds secondary stability. It runs all the way to the bow, adding strength to the hull, where the topsides meet the running bottom (called the ‘garboard’ in marine/nautical terms).

2DFD7402-FD21-4935-88A8-858A23714CC5.jpeg

47130801-EE65-4F57-A7F8-A2A50F924F5A.jpeg

That looks like a nice boat for a 12ft.. the 63" beam is impressive, and wider than most.
I have basically the 16ft version of that boat with a 68" beam.

thanks. Narrowing my list down! i got a half dozen electric and one 9.9 lakes up 50 to 400 acres by my hunting camp and a 3700 acre lake near home. Ill likely end up with a alweld/weldbilt mod v 1248, 1442 and most likely 1448 with 20 inch transom.

Latest posts