12 volt vs 24 volt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
Is there a very strong trolling motor for river fishing that is 12 volt? I have a brand new 24 volt system, but the batteries take up lots of storage space.

A 12v trolling motor will not have enough power for strong river currents.

Not knowing what your boat is, try 2 smaller batteries. Deep Cycles come in at least 3 different sizes, maybe even 5 different sizes.

I believe the strongest 12v is a 55 lb thrust. It works okay for my jon but I don't fish in a continuous strong current like you find in rivers, smaller batteries, even non-deep cycle may be the answer. If you can't find a small deep cycle plain starting batteries will work.

Honestly with today's new gel batteries I'm surprised they haven't made a 24v group 27 or 29 yet, or maybe they have, I just haven't looked yet.

There are 24v batteries made. Most boats use a pair of 12v batteries to get there, but there are actual 24v batteries available. I ran 16v lithium battery in the race car for a while (12 lbs....but it costs over $1100 at the time) and they mentioned that they use 24v batteries for other applications that require 24 volts. At that time, they were about $2500, but I'm sure have come down some by now, as most of the Lithium battery stuff has. As far as flooded wet cell and AGM? 24v stuff is kind of rare. There ARE forklift 24v batteries made, but they're basically a pair of 12v batteries encased in a single big heavy plastic case which take up just as much space-if not more-than a pair of group 27 12v batteries. Also, they're about $400.

Many times at work folks have asked me about putting a 24v or 12/24 or a few times 36v trolling motor on. In most of those cases, 12v is perfectly fine. When you get into 24, 36, and even 48v trolling motors, you also get into a lot more weight and a lot less space left for storage. In at least one case that I can remember in the recent past, customer custom-spec'd a boat with 36v trolling motor and that would require 4 batteries (one for cranking, 3 for the trolling motor). When we got the boat and started in on it, the 4 batteries wouldn't fit in the well along with the fuel tank. No way, no how. 3 fit ok but 4 wouldn't. Of course the owner had already ordered and received his trolling motor, so he had to sell it on the used market (couldn't return it due to time) and "downgrade" (in his terms) to a 24v system.

IMO the only times when 24/36/48v systems are really needed is if you need the extra battery capacity OR you're trolling a river that's got some fast current. I do the latter occasionally with a 12v 45lb trolling motor and it works just fine EXCEPT when it gets shallow and/or narrow, and the current gets much faster than about 5 mph, then it will barely move against the current and I mean barely. When the current gets that fast or faster, I find it more beneficial to use the outboard to troll and it doesn't seem to bother the spooky fish like I thought it would.

I think the best you can do with a 12v system is 55lb thrust, i don't know how big your boat is but if it's over 14 ft i would recommend a 24v system. I fish the Missississippi River and i have a 70lb on my 16 ft flat and it by no means is over sized. Wish i had an 80lb. if you were really concerned with the weight you could run two group 24 size batteries or if you wanted to shell out some coin go lithium.

Ya know I got to thinking about this. The race car is a 12v system (completely 12v)--but I use a 16v battery. Everything is compatible including the ignition system (electronic CDI) and all of the dash gauges, everything.

Makes me wonder....will a 12v trolling motor run on 16 volts without damage? If so, I would bet that a 12v 55lb motor could easily become a 16v 65+lb and go considerably faster. The prop will spin MUCH faster for sure. That's the point in the 16v battery on the race car, spins the starter, electric fan, and water pump about 50% faster....and the head & taillights are a lot brighter.....makes a HUGE difference. Been on 16v for, gosh, 15 years or more? Had to replace the battery in 2002, then again in '10, then again in 2016.

I'll have to take a look-see if I still have my old trolling motor...haven't seen it in a while but if I do, I'm going to remove the battery from the race car and put it into the boat and go try it out...

I’ve got a 24 volt, 80 lb thrust Terrova, and in strong current, my 16x48 jon, sometimes, will not even move upstream against the current. I had a 12 volt model on my old boat and it just wasn’t strong enough. The extra battery does take up some room, but I’m not one that has or needs a ton of storage in the boat. I’d much rather have the extra power than room for a bunch of extra tackle I won’t need.

Scott, I have the same trolling motor on a 1648 modvee. I haven't learned the motor functions yet.

NW NC? French Broad river upstream of Asheville? You'll want a 24 volt if that's what you're fishing putting out as much thrust as possible. I haven't fished it from a boat, but it's definitely faster than the river I fish up here in CT where I figure my 12v 55lb setup can be maxed out.

Well the verdict is in....

Trolling motor will run on 16v. And it's faster (obviously).

Trolled for several hours, trolling for hybrids and whites. Ended up with a few crappie too. Never shut the motor off in about 4 hours of fishing. Granted some of the time it was on 1st speed. Then the wind picked up and I kicked it up to high "gear" (speed #5) and managed to see 6.7 mph. Battery is a Rock Racing 16v AGM.

Interesting.

Probably on the upper limits of what the TM will take without burning out running 16V through it.

12V TM for river fishing is way underpowered, IMO. I ran a 55# for years on my 1648 and always struggled fighting current. Hated it. This year I installed a 24V 74# variable speed Minn Kota Maxxum. What a difference!! Fighting current to fish an eddy or seam is the norm for me. A 55# is WAY underpowered, even for my light boat. 74# is much better, but there are times were I could us an 80# or 112# even. I'll never again run a 12V on the river. Variable speed is also something that will now be hard to live without.

New, French Broad, Holston, Catawba, Yadkin. The muskie fishing is on. I checked the motor yesterday, it's an 80. The small frame batteries would be nice next set.

I've been fishin the Susquehanna in PA for 30 years and I've never had a 24v trolling motor. Then again, I only use the trolling motor for boat positioning. If I wanna go upstream I use my outboard. For the first 20 years, all I had was a 12 v 36# Minn Kota. Now I have a 55#.

What part of the susquehanna do you fish? I usually go out on the lake augusta when the fabri dam is up and usually go up to the new bridge they're putting in up the west branch near lewisburg.

idruthrbfishin said:
I've been fishin the Susquehanna in PA for 30 years and I've never had a 24v trolling motor. Then again, I only use the trolling motor for boat positioning. If I wanna go upstream I use my outboard. For the first 20 years, all I had was a 12 v 36# Minn Kota. Now I have a 55#.

I fish the Potomac primarily, but typically make a few day trip to the Susquehanna once a year. No way I could fish either with a 36#. My old 55# was bad enough. I only use it for boat positioning as well, but sitting in the current outside of an eddy or seam is brutal with an under powered TM.

Kochy said:
What part of the susquehanna do you fish? I usually go out on the lake augusta when the fabri dam is up and usually go up to the new bridge they're putting in up the west branch near lewisburg.

I fish The North Branch from Hunlock Creek down as far as Norry, and the West Branch from Norry to Jersey Shore. Never fished below the Flibber Dam.

BigTerp said:
idruthrbfishin said:

I fish the Potomac primarily, but typically make a few day trip to the Susquehanna once a year. No way I could fish either with a 36#. My old 55# was bad enough. I only use it for boat positioning as well, but sitting in the current outside of an eddy or seam is brutal with an under powered TM.

That's when I use my anchor. :LOL2:

Latest posts