New to me alumacraft.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_mac84

Reaction score
Picked up an 89 alumacraft. 17’.

https://boatspecs.iboats.com/Alumacraft_Boats__MV_Super_Hawk_XL__1989/bp/66b1147

I can’t find many examples online of this particular model. Probably fish it out for the year and do some rebuilding/layout changes this winter. Previously did a 14’ rowboat to ‘bass boat’ (decked it) conversion

Anyone ever have one of these and do a restore? Looking for layout ideas and inspiration.

(Old/precious $100 row boat)

ad89e7db5aee8f19f6c552a2161d1950.jpg
e93aa4160716406e1c18e6cc18cf083f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a1982 16 ft alumacraft mv angler. Well built and doesn't leak.

It looks like you got the horn and PA system upgrades! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Horn didn’t work [emoji27]. This girl has no storage. Certainly going to have to fix that this winter! Really looking forward to the rebuild! Foam seems OK from what I have looked at. But that might have to go anyway

Getting into the boat a bit. Positive side is that my rebuild should save dozens of not 100# in waterlogged open cell foam and random lumber

8232f6134783afa59b0d232dfac8ff27.jpg

I've never seen a cockpit like that. Can't even sit in front of the wheel? Agree mine does not have much storage either but I like an open floor plan.

It is odd. But look at the document @jethro shared. Looks stock. The box on the right where the control is is aluminum.

I am 6’3. I don’t fit under the wheel of any aluminum bass boat under 20’ it seems. Tried to get under a ranger and a tracker at cabelas. It was a joke [emoji23]

adam_mac84 said:
It is odd. But look at the document @jethro shared. Looks stock. The box on the right where the control is is aluminum.

I am 6’3. I don’t fit under the wheel of any aluminum bass boat under 20’ it seems. Tried to get under a ranger and a tracker at cabelas. It was a joke [emoji23]

Nah, that side locker or whatever that is was added in.

Rip it all out and start over.

4eb0171f2448d73d5532fc1378cc68cc.jpg
This is from the brochure. Bad design either way. And is coming out!

adam_mac84 said:
4eb0171f2448d73d5532fc1378cc68cc.jpg
This is from the brochure. Bad design either way. And is coming out!

The rear deck is add on and heavy waterlogged wood too.

Currently pulling bad pour foam that is collecting water. Will replace with sheets that allow drainage (aft).

adam_mac84 said:

I can relate. I'm 6'4 and have the same issues. My previous 15' Klamath with side console had tons of legroom under the wheel and console. For my current 18' Gregor, I had to add a slider under the seat to get the legroom I needed. Also has a tilt steering wheel which is pretty neat (I know, pretty fancy huh).

I sure hope this green florist foam isn’t stock by alumacraft. [emoji15]
75fbf8fed4772143ef0a4fd622412774.jpg
6a52ed399a57bd3818523bd3036a59dd.jpg

Well. Had better luck on the river than tonight before. Steering cable broke at the launch (thankfully). Fished a couple hours on the trolling motor. And got a PB smallie. So I guess all was not lost.

Pulled old helm kit in the dark and new one should arrive Wednesday. Supposed to take my bro in law home from marine duty fishing Friday. Fingers crossed
858f73be67164fbc75634b28bdf8ed81.jpg

Interesting project. I bought one of those new in the late 80s and kept it several years. I always thought it was a good boat. I will look forward to seeing your restoration.

Currently deciding if I should ditch or plan around a livewell. I’m not a tourney guy. But who knows. Also if I insulate it it can be a cooler [emoji2371]. But either way the stock one needs be moved and possibly made bigger

adam_mac84 said:
Well. Had better luck on the river than tonight before. Steering cable broke at the launch (thankfully). Fished a couple hours on the trolling motor. And got a PB smallie. So I guess all was not lost.

Pulled old helm kit in the dark and new one should arrive Wednesday. Supposed to take my bro in law home from marine duty fishing Friday. Fingers crossed
858f73be67164fbc75634b28bdf8ed81.jpg

Too bad about the steering cable. But that 2.6# smallmouth is a nice catch. Congrats!

adam_mac84 said:
Currently deciding if I should ditch or plan around a livewell. I’m not a tourney guy. But who knows. Also if I insulate it it can be a cooler [emoji2371]. But either way the stock one needs be moved and possibly made bigger

I use mine for a bait well and put fish on ice in the cooler. I hate having to drag a minnow bucket in and out. I crappie and catfish with minnows quite a bit. A bait well doesn't need to be big. Insulated would be nice but not critical.

Latest posts