Battery Mounted under deck with OUT battery box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO8853

Reaction score
I'm in the process of completing my jon boat restoration and I'm trying to get my battery setup worked out. I have one group 29 battery and its dimensions are 13" x 7" x 10" (W x D x H) and its heavy. I originally assumed I would put the battery in the back with gas tank, however after taking the boat out on the lake a couple times I quickly realized that the boat will not plane unless I get someone to sit on the front deck due to all the weight toward the rear. I've also decided to move my transom mounted trolling motor to the bow using a bracket, so this would also help having the battery near the TM.

Since I originally didn't plan to have the battery up front, I did not build the deck to accommodate a battery. As luck would have it, it just barely fits with about an inch of clearance between the battery terminals and the deck plywood. I would have to install one of those pre-made hatches in the top of the deck, because the only way to get it in there now is to turn it on its side and slide it through the opening and its a real pain to get it back out / wire it up.

My question is, is it ok to have a battery under the deck that is not enclosed in a battery box? I've looked and none of the battery boxes are going to fit under the deck. I would make sure to secure the battery with a strap and probably add some thin rubber matting to help with vibration, but I'm worried about it being exposed. I'm not sure how big a deal water is if lets say I get a small rain shower while out on the lake. A light rain may not get the battery wet if under deck, but it would obviously be possible. I could add a divider under the deck to make sure I didn't accidentally throw something under the deck for storage and it contact the terminals and cause an arc. Also, I would have a master switch that would kill power while towing and storing. I've also thought about just taking the top from a battery box or something similar that was plastic and laying it on top of battery to shield from water while under deck.

I apologize for the sideways pics. I still can't figure out how to make them post in correct orientation.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• 58579487702__5660B72F-980D-4AA1-BDB4-BB320CD1AF98.JPG
    58579487702__5660B72F-980D-4AA1-BDB4-BB320CD1AF98.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,538
  • IMG_4054.jpg
    IMG_4054.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,538
Had this one ... but found a plastic tub that fir over the top, that's all you'd need to protect. Or get a piece of Sunbrella material to make a 'door' to that area. Simple ..

I have mine under the front deck (aluminum) with about the same amount of clearance that you are describing. I used aluminum angle to mount a battery tray to and then strapped the batteries to that. Nice and secure.

In the front of mine I have no battery "box".. just a rubber mat and a rachet strap secured to the floor.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You should be fine. I'd use a battery tray with a strap, and then put a boot over the terminals if you're worried about arcing. The only issue you're going to run into is securing the battery or tray down onto the aluminum without adding a board under it.

My new grizzly 1648 came with a battery tray and a simple ratchet straps to secure trolling motor battery under front deck...works well. I'd keep a cap on terminals just for peace of mind....

Take a look at storage boxes (like Sterilite). There may be one that is just the right size for you battery. You can cut notches in it for the cables to exit. A couple screws in the bottom keeps it in place. Cheap & safe.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sounds like I’ll be able to make the battery up front work.

I’ve been looking at those pre-made hatches and man they’re expensive. I have extra stainless hinges to make my own hatches, but since I’ve already carpeted the deck I guess I’m stuck using one of the pre-made hatches that has a flange to keep the carpet from pulling up.

If I would have planned ahead, I would have cut the hatch out of deck before carpeting and made sure to roll the ends under and staple.

Do you guys agree my only options now for installing hatch are to buy a pre-made hatch with flange or pull up carpet and redo?

TMO8853 said:
If I would have planned ahead, I would have cut the hatch out of deck before carpeting and made sure to roll the ends under and staple.

Do you guys agree my only options now for installing hatch are to buy a pre-made hatch with flange or pull up carpet and redo?

Couldn't you cut your carpet out smaller than the hatch hole and then roll the extra under? Say you're doing a 12" x 12" hatch. Cut a hole in your carpet at say 9" x 9" before you cut the hatch hole. Cut your carpet in straight lines at the corners back to meet the corners of your 12" x 12" hatch hole. Then you'll have the extra carpet to roll the ends under. I guess it'll depend on how secured down your carpet is though. If it's glued and stapled really well it might be a PITA.

That’s actually a great idea! It is glued and stapled well, but I bet I could cut it and pull it up some before cutting and then glue back down. Even if it didn’t work and looked bad I could do it in a way that I could just install one the pre made hatches to cover the area like I was going to have to do anyways.

Looks like there is a raised floor under that bow deck. Just a thought. If you are going to cut a hole for a hatch, that will give you access to cutting another hole in the compartment floor for a battery tray of some sort. That would give you some of the added head room you are looking for. Make the battery more secure too.

Like I said, just a thought.

Do you guys see any problem with a DC battery that uses water to be installed at an angle versus sitting flat? It’s probably at a 10-15 degree angle or whatever the slope of the bow is on bottom of boat.

1960 yellowboat said:
Nah, batter acid won't hurt the boat, will it?

It eats aluminum. Not as fast as steel but it does.

Also consider ventilation. Most batteries will give off potentially explosive hydrogen gas and that needs to be vented. With most boats I dont' see a problem, but every once in a while.......

I got it worked out so that the battery is sitting pretty much flat. I have some aluminum L channel that I will be using to make a tray for battery to sit in and hold it. Still not sure how I will strap it or protect it from water, but I’ll probably end using some rubber boots and engineer some sort of tie down if possible.

As far as venting goes, I do plan to close the front of the deck now that I’m adding hatch. I was hoping as long as I open hatch to charge it would be ok.

This 1436 is way to small... Already been looking at 1760’s and haven’t even got this one sorted out yet

Attachments

• D7BCBED3-EE03-4B72-AD12-E7A3BF774030.jpeg
    D7BCBED3-EE03-4B72-AD12-E7A3BF774030.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 399
  • 774CCE9B-76DA-4743-B356-797CCC0B93ED.jpeg
    774CCE9B-76DA-4743-B356-797CCC0B93ED.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 398
  • CBA57161-7131-45DB-A010-419CE5D0D944.jpeg
    CBA57161-7131-45DB-A010-419CE5D0D944.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 398
Finally got the trolling motor and battery rigged up on the front of the boat and I can’t believe the difference it make versus having it on the transom. This trolling motor is just a cheap 30 pound Minn Kota that sales for $90 on Amazon and its perfect for this 1436. I’ve got a 114amp hour battery from Walmart and I’ve been fishing around 5 hours in windy conditions and come back at 12.50 volts. So based on the internet I’m only using like 25%.

With that being said, a bigger wider boat and wireless trolling motor is definitely on my list. I can now see why everyone raves about their TM being the life of the boat.

Attachments

• A1AC626C-50B9-42C4-B526-26D6FA84C64F.jpeg
    A1AC626C-50B9-42C4-B526-26D6FA84C64F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 364
  • 7C6BC730-DCD3-4175-93E0-BB0B3FC1BD70.jpeg
    7C6BC730-DCD3-4175-93E0-BB0B3FC1BD70.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 364
  • 8D4EE708-6B8B-4502-A7DF-433D7CE81A89.jpeg
    8D4EE708-6B8B-4502-A7DF-433D7CE81A89.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 364
I have 1648 grizzly have mounted under front deck with battery tray and hold down strap, have breaker in there also because it runs TM, I use fiber glass mat deep cycle battery because they are sealed and won’t leak it also helps keep more weight up front

Latest posts