motors on canoes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960 yellowboat

Reaction score
I want to mount an outboard around 4 hp on the back of my canoe.
I don't want a side mount.
Is there anything available to mount a motor directly behind the canoe?

Huh, I'm not a canoe-er but am curious if such a thing is made. Might be fun fabricating something.

If that doesn't work, a set of paddle wheels is always available -- just add a pulley and motor!

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 12.16.53 PM.png

You would need a flat back canoe (Scanoe? Gheenoe?) for that.

4hp may be a bit too much. We had a 16' Grumman with a 2hp evinrude on it and it went pretty well.

The problem with the smaller motors are that they are mostly 360 motors with no neutral or reverse and turning it to the side to get it into reverse can cause the canoe to tip over.

I run a 2 hp on a side mount and it works good. Not sure how you would reach the motor if you mount it out past the rear tip. Wouldn't be hard to fab a mount though. If you want to run a 4, get a square back. They are made for motors and built a little more rigid. A regular fiberglass canoe will flex a bit over the waves and start to crack at the ribs. Mine did, I had to patch it. My canoe is fairly wide and does not tip or even feel sketchy when turning the motor 360

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I wish I still had this flatback canoe... caught a lot of fish in that boat. Used to have a 2 horse Evinrude but more often used it with a small transom mount electric.

Easter2011.1-M.jpg

Square stern canoes have been a round for a long time. They are better designed than regular canoes for use with a motor, and can usually handle up to around 5 hp. The problem is that the motor is right behind you making it awkward to steer. A side mount actually is easier to operate. Most regular canoes can only handle 2-3 hp unless they are large freighters. The use of outboard motors on canoes is very common in the North. Some people like to lash two or more canoes together with poles and build a plywood platform. They are commonly seen going up and down big rivers like the Yukon some with wall tents and wood stoves.