Tomahawk Antique Outboard Nationals 2019

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Not very many may be interested in this but for some there may be an interest in the heritage of outboarding. For those....enjoy.

Lesa and I travelled up to Tomahawk Wisconsin at the end of July for the annual Tomahawk Super meet. Meet is a huge swap meet and show for antique outboards and boats.

Lesa picked up this nice completely original 1957 Johnson 3hp. The best example I have ever seen!

She also picked up a 1968 British Seagull Featherweight. A 1.25hp Seagull. We got that running in about a half hour and here she is running it in the Wisconsin River.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

I picked up a nice 1920 Evinrude RowBoat Motor. This engine came complete with the optional tilt mechanism. Pretty rare.

One of the nicest engines we saw there was a Waterwitch. This one has the infamous "Mae West" fuel tanks on the top. A perfect engine done in a high polish by a guy that knows what he is doing.
This one was being sold for $2500.00. Well out of my league.

To give you an idea of just how big this swap meet part is here is a photo of the set up day. Keep in mind this is a retired runway!
Vendors lined up on both sides and more coming in every few minutes. There was so much coming in that you had to make another round every couple hours to see if there was something there that you were after.

I pretty sure saw your motor in the show and I was amazed at how nice it was. I was there Friday afternoon and a good chunk of the vendors were packing up already. :x I guess that's one way to keep more money in my pocket. What's the best day to hit the show? Wednesday afternoon? This and last years shows didn't seem as big to me as they were years ago.

Matt - Probably Wednesday at the latest. Next year the dates will change. Instead of Tuesday through Saturday it will be Monday through Friday.
Vendors were indeed cleaning up and out if they had sold what they wanted to. I saw a bunch leaving on Thursday this year. However, if you are lucky enough to be after something unique that's the time to buy if if you think it may still be available.
The set up days are really the days to find what you want and get it. Doesn't seem right but that's been the case each time I have been there.
Next year come by and introduced yourself! Most folks there know where the Florida bunch is located and all the Florida bunch will know where to find me.

There were certainly some deals to be had when I was there. Lots of free and cheap motors and parts. I should have stopped by and said hi. I saw you guys working on your knuckle buster you took on the river in the campground. I'll definitely have to check it out earlier in the week next year. The only thing I'm really after are a few parts for my QD-10 or a whole parts motor in decent shape. It's funny that I see the same QD-10s for sale there year after year.

One thing I did always look forward to was what kind of oddball boat Bill from Illinois would bring to the show, but I don't recall seeing anything from him the last two years.

Here's a link to some pics I took of the 2015 show, and a few pics from 2012.

I did really like this Feathercraft someone had on their trailer. I thought it was a really unique shape.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

We were under a bright orange 10' canopy while there. The Service A Elto was put on a stand, checked over, and it started on the first try. You either had to see it there or while we were putting it on the boat about 75' behind the canopy.
There were a bunch of QD engines there. A fellow in a modern "Woody" station wagon stopped by on Saturday while we were packing up and had a really nice straight one with the matching year tank with it. Dennis Evinrude bought that one for a song. I just gave away a really nice one that I had built out of three engines. Gave it to my cousin in Georgia. He already has it going again.
That Feathercraft is a nice one! Looks like someone cut the deck on it but it looks good that way.

That's a really cool thing to go see. I liked the pics of some of those old engines. Neat part of boating history...

Latest posts