Building a sole from untreated wood for alu boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24921

Reaction score
Hi Im looking to build a quick and cheep sole for my aluminium boat. Im planing to just use untreated wood painted with some linseed oil to give some more years.

I have had some corrosion problem with treated wood, can untreated wood and linseed oil have bad effect on aluminium?

I used 1/2 inch plywood, just exterior grade. Painted it both sides primer & paint, probly 3 coats on edges. Glued I/O carpet on. I keep boat covered so it is in good shape after years.

If I got to do it again I would leave the screw heads exposed so I could remove it easily. I buried the screws under the carpet glue, it is there to stay for the duration!

Use an exterior grade plywood like ABX, BCX or CDX.
Then seal it with old timers formula. It's a home made mix of Boiled linseed oil, Mineral Spirits and Spar urethane or Spar Varnish.

Never use treated plywood in contact with aluminum, the copper in the treatment will react negatively with aluminum, which it seems you have already figured out. An exterior grade plywood painted or treated with the Old timers formula is a good alternative.

Latest posts