Help With 1967 Harber Craft AL Sailboat Identification.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrd.rok

Reaction score
So I bought an Aluminum "Harber Craft" Sailboat.

14 ft long
67-006006 ID number - I'm guessing this means 1967 Model 6 Number 6??
no HIN
18 ft mast
foam filled sides
Main sail Has "14" and maple leaf on it

I can find ZERO reference to this on the net and hope someone has some info on this.

I found this on Harber Technologies, was Harber Manufacturing, Harbercraft was spun out of this company, now merged with Kingfisher.

In the late 1950’s the company utilized the knowledge of aluminum manufacturing to begin building “Feathercraft” aluminum boats for Fleet Aircraft. They eventually diversified into the company’s own line of “HarberCraft” boats which were sold throughout Canada as the exclusive provider under the Sears label. Aluminum boat production remained a significant part of the company’s operations until 1987. Between 1956 and 1994, the company produced over 110,000 aluminum boats, many of which are still in use today.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,139
Very little information out there. Harber mfg still operates in fort Erie but no boats anymore. I emailed them once hoping for some history but no reply. I had a 14' Harber craft which I sold and I currently have a 12' both good solid boats. Yours is the first sail boat I've seen

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

throwing in the towel on this one, with a tag number of 67-006006 I assume this is a 67, either prototype limited production ( like 6 maybe ) or a custom build. As it has no model number i create the ???? name to follow

Pretty cool sailboat and looks like it would be a ton of fun on the water. I take it those openings along where the centerboard is can be used to stick your feet so you can hike out.

It is a special feeling to be "flying" over the water in a small sailboat when everything is trimmed and just so.

LDUBS said:
I take it those openings along where the centerboard is can be used to stick your feet so you can hike out.
Those are actually 'water ballast' ports ... if you don't stick your feet in there to hike out and add 'ballast' to the windward ... you capsize and end up in the 'water'!

i’m thinking it would be a pile of fun with 4 people onboard

the paint is almost off and the lines are beautiful

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
I take it those openings along where the centerboard is can be used to stick your feet so you can hike out.
Those are actually 'water ballast' ports ... if you don't stick your feet in there to hike out and add 'ballast' to the windward ... you capsize and end up in the 'water'!

Haha. Many years ago we were in an open sailboat similar to the OP's but a little bigger and made of wood. We were in a brisk wind and were hiked out. We thought we were screaming across the water. Then this guy in a Hobie Cat cam zipping by like we were standing still. Kind of like a 250 HP bass boat zipping my my 50 HP tin boat.

Hi.. I just found one for sale im going to possibly buy. No sails. Is there any way that I could get the rig dimensions off you?

Will get the hull info off it when i get it but all i have is a partial pic. Have you had yours out yet? How's it handle?

I have not had it out, i cleaned most of the paint of and then took a pressure washer to it,

most likely creating some seam leaks, so the one time i did put it in the water, it sunk. :cry:

i have 4 vehicles in line in front of this with work before i get it in water and as we still have ice on the lake, so i am on schedule

you are looking for sails dimensions?

can you share that partial pic?

So i haven't gotten a chance to go out to see it. How stiff you figure that hull is built? Or should I just stick with the fiberglass Spindrifts I have? Not fancying the idea of maintaining rivet seams or going after hidden cracks.. But yeah if you could get me the measurements for the sails that would be great. I found a set of international 420 sails that might fit for $100 the set. This boat is going for 800 with a trailer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7PxoBRBY7VC1KbNH7

wow definitely looks like the same boat, mine has the sides filled with styrofoam and then AL covers full length on the inside

it is pretty stiff, again my leaks are self inflicted with pressure washer, marine silicone to the rescue

for sails, is jib and mast measurement adequate?>

i would kill for that rudder

Yea if you could measure aprox where the sails fit the mast and boom that would be Great. I see the mast on one of the other pics that its a full hight jib not a fractional. The owner of this one bought it to outfit. He never got around to it and now has heart problems. He said previous owner said it was very fast compared to a conventional fiberglass similar setup like a cl14 or such. That rudder does intrigue me too. My spindrifts both have the aluminum plate center boards and they are awesome. I briefly did have a cl16 that i got in partial trade for my old tanzer 7.5 and i didn't like it much at all compared to my Spindrifts... Yea liked the first one that i got a deal on a second. I do have a venture 222 but its up for sale too as its just too cramped. Just going to save up for a new Imexus 28.
Brings me back to this aluminum deal which from other pics i seen only have a bit of cracking around the hole that accepts the mast. I have a stainless plate that will take care of that issue. Wondering if there is any room up under the front deck for gear storage or anything? Seriously thinking about going for this one.. Hey, i could even measure up and pattern that rudder for ya. Lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJeQ412LLseKinkS7

Theres a better view of that data plate..

Still debating on going over to see it or not..

So, yesterday I bought the Harber Craft 14' aluminum sailboat from the guy who has had it for the past few months. It is hull # 24. anyone out there have one. I know they're rare. Beautiful lines, gonna be a fun summer...

Latest posts