I'm gouging up the bottom of my boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbottomman

Reaction score
When putting my boat in at the boat ramp, once the boat is in the water, I always just idle up to the ramp and let the bow ride up on it a little, hop out, and park the truck. I looked at the bottom of my boat for the first time in a while, and it is gouged up from doing this. Lesson learned. I won't be doing that any more. Is there anything I should do to try to smooth the bottom out again? I thought about taking a grinder to it, smooth it, and repaint it. Or, would I be better off to just leave it, and not repeat the mistake again?

You could take a fine file & remove the burrs (raised metal). Other than that, the scratches are not hurting anything (IMO).

Consider adding a keel guard. A good one is usually about $175. I would still file any rough spots down before applying one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The actual contact point is usually pretty small... why not just get a piece of 16th inch stainless steel and bend it to fit the keel.. then drill out 4 rivets and mount it ? With a generous amount of polyurethane sealant underneath...

Shaugh said:
The actual contact point is usually pretty small... why not just get a piece of 16th inch stainless steel and bend it to fit the keel.. then drill out 4 rivets and mount it ? With a generous amount of polyurethane sealant underneath...

I was actually thinking something similar; Take aluminum strips and epoxy them to the four or so protruding keels that run down the flat bottom. It would really on need to be four feet in length or so and only near the front part of the hill where the contact is usually made.

Latest posts