Leading Bow shape differences

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1E9A8U7

Reaction score
I have these 2 tin boats, both 14ft, 1is an Eldocraft 1436, the other an Alumacraft 1442. 20190818_105743.jpg
What is the benefit for the different shapped front as seen here. Im fixing to start building one and wanted to see which one to better start with. Thanks.

I would keep the one on the left based only on that view, the flat front will enable water to spray over the front when you are moving through chop. Of course that happens with the other boat too but, it will be a lot worse in the one on the right.

I have these 2 tin boats, both 14ft, 1is an Eldocraft 1436, the other an Alumacraft 1442. View attachment 102558
What is the benefit for the different shapped front as seen here. Im fixing to start building one and wanted to see which one to better start with. Thank 1442 is a D boat made for trolling motor mount on the front (Aluminum bass boat) I worked for Eldo-Craft in the 70s. My uncles owned the place. The old factory still stands, made of oilfield pipe and tin. They worked hard and made a name for themselves in the industry. Lindy Long,David Long, Doc Long, Pat Long. and Joffre Long are all brothers that started the company back in the early fifties in Norphlet actually but moved to Smackover about 5 miles north. They had contracts with Sears and several other big retailers and sold boats in all fifty states and around the world. If you have a 1464D it’s the real gem if you’re a bass fisherman. That’s 14 feet long and 64 gauge aluminum. That was a poor man’s bass boat until aluminum prices put them and most other small town manufacturers out of business. That’s another story I won’t get into for political reasons.

If you are on a very calm body of water I guess it wouldn't matter much, but if you have even a small chop I'd want the green one. If you plan on going out on a big lake or bay I'd be shopping for another boat.

If you are on a very calm body of water I guess it wouldn't matter much, but if you have even a small chop I'd want the green one. If you plan on going out on a big lake or bay I'd be shopping for another boat.
Why they are 14 foot boats. Seems like they would work on a large lake if you took it easy.

Why they are 14 foot boats. Seems like they would work on a large lake if you took it easy.
The base alum one on the right has very little (I'll call it) bow rise, that nose would be plowing though many waves with one person in the front. The green one has a small rise to the hull and would help swallow a few but i'd prefer a bit more freeboard on a rough body of water. Being lots of people trailer their boats to various places you never know what you're gonna get, plus when it comes to resale having a more versatile boat brings you a better return. (Of course these are all my opinions, your opinion my vary)

adding to what Crazyboat said
....So I think the one on the right would be able to support more weight in front.
But it's limited in use, so the other one would be a better choice for most.

Latest posts