Help hole in boat how would u fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jw3649

Reaction score
I purchased a new starcraft in 2009 thinking I would have the boat many many years if I took good care of it. last year I noticed some paint bubbling in an area below the fuel fill at the waterline. This year I noticed several spots of corrosion under the paint and now have a small hole. Dealer says I can send it back to factory and they may repair if they determine the corrosion is not caused by electrolysis. This area of corrosion is where the fuel fill hose runs under the deck to the tank. Has anyone seen a corrosion issue in this area? Does this look like corrosion caused by electrolysis? How would you fix?

Attachments

• 1566480015411-1236364198.jpg
    1566480015411-1236364198.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 870
First, I would run the length of the hose and see there are any metal fittings touching the aluminum. If there are, you have to isolate them. That foam insutation sold for water pipes would work but its kind of big.

Next, inspect the interior of the stern to see if the corrosion is spreading. You'll have to remove it and neutralize it.

I'd put a piece of aluminum sheet over the area and apply West Marine G Flex from the outside.
You apply it and heat it and the heat draws it in.

You may have to repaint the entire stern so you can't see the patch.

Before you do anything,talk to a boat dealer and get his advise on the repair I mention.
I'm just a guy with a boat, not a boat repairman.

I had a couple holes in an older boat that were likely "kinetically generated" (i.e. bulletholes). I just patched them with closed end rivets and aluminum washers, greased generously with 5200. Works just fine.

Tinny Fleet said:
I had a couple holes in an older boat that were likely "kinetically generated" (i.e. bulletholes). I just patched them with closed end rivets and aluminum washers, greased generously with 5200. Works just fine.

Man, you must go fishing in some rough waters! Haha

I have thought about a rivet. My main concern is that their are several spots or corrosion in the area and once I clean them up I will likely have several holes. In the area right behind the hole is foam, fuel lines and tank I would have to take the entire boat appart to be able to weld in that area.

LDUBS said:
Tinny Fleet said:

Man, you must go fishing in some rough waters! Haha

Nah it was just sitting in a barn for some years - my grandpa's boat I inherited. I can post some pics of the finished repair if anyone wants. Blends right in if you aren't really looking.

Latest posts