PVC gutter bunk cover question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLguy81

Reaction score
I've heard this recommended as an alternative to carpeting the bunks but I got to thinking.... Will this still work if I plan on coating the hull in Steelflex? Does anyone else have this combination out there?

I didn't really care for them. Any bunk will eventually wear through paint, but the plastic ones especially. When I had them, there was a sort of aluminum paste left over from all the friction between them and the hull.

That and I was never able to find any that would slip over a 2x4.

I went back to carpeted bunks and didn't notice a huge difference in loading/unloading.

I used a vinyl post cover 4"x4". Less than $15. Cut it in half slip over 2X4 bunk and use stainless screws into the sides. It's been four years and they are still fine. Boat slides nice on them.

OK
Here's the bunk cover question as I understand it.
Yes, carpet will absorb saltwater and corrode your boat.
Mine are vinyl coated for that reason.
But when you go to retrieve a boat on a ramp, the boat is level in the water and the trailer is on a downward angle.
When you bring the boat up to the trailer, only the very front of the boat makes contact.
As you pull forward, the trailer rises and meets the boat.
Very little movement of the boat on the trailer.
So, what's the big deal?
I suppose in freshwater and almost level ramps ,it may make a difference, but I have yet to see a level ramp.
I think some people over think everything.

I prefer carpet over vinyl. Carpet works fine for my needs and is easy to change up as needed. Don't go anywhere near the saltwater. I would worry a little about grit getting between the smooth vinyl and boat hull, but not something I would lose sleep over.

As far as the original questions which is Steelflex against PVC, I don't know. Can't really see why it could be an issue.

1960 yellowboat said:
OK
Here's the bunk cover question as I understand it.
Yes, carpet will absorb saltwater and corrode your boat.
Mine are vinyl coated for that reason.
But when you go to retrieve a boat on a ramp, the boat is level in the water and the trailer is on a downward angle.
When you bring the boat up to the trailer, only the very front of the boat makes contact.
As you pull forward, the trailer rises and meets the boat.
Very little movement of the boat on the trailer.
So, what's the big deal?
I suppose in freshwater and almost level ramps ,it may make a difference, but I have yet to see a level ramp.
I think some people over think everything.

If you think your boat does not move at all on that trailer while you are going down the road at 65MPH you are wrong. Every bump in the road causes some movement. It may be small, but over time it adds up.

Well then, anything the bunks are covered with will still exhibit that miniscule amount of movement, right?
Over time?
If you can't escape it, why worry about it?
After all, its just paint.
overthinking?

Latest posts