How do you screw/mount things to aluminum (such as seat base)?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
flatbottomman

Post by flatbottomman »

How do you mount things to the aluminum, such as a seat base? The two options that come to mind is screwing directly into the aluminum or using toggle bolt/nut that is usually used for anchoring things in drywall.

surfman

Post by surfman »

For something like a seat base and really anything for that matter you need it to be mounted solidly and that usually means that you will need some kind of backing. A thicker piece of aluminum say 1/4" plate, drill through it and bolt through it using SS bolts. I am assuming you are referring to mounting only to sheet aluminum like the floor of the deck.

BigTerp
Donor

Post by BigTerp »

surfman wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 07:02
For something like a seat base and really anything for that matter you need it to be mounted solidly and that usually means that you will need some kind of backing. A thicker piece of aluminum say 1/4" plate, drill through it and bolt through it using SS bolts. I am assuming you are referring to mounting only to sheet aluminum like the floor of the deck.
This is how I mounted my seat bases, but I used a piece of 1" x 1" aluminum square stock as backing with stainless bolts and nyloc washers. Super solid this way.
Last edited by BigTerp on 28 Aug 2019, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=26774

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

Yep, need blocking of some sort. Even toggle bolts won't be good for a seat base. And if I can predict your next question.. "what if you have no access behind it" the answer is you make access behind it. Even if you have to cut a hole and patch it after or use an access panel. I had to do just that when installing my 6' Traxstech tracks on my gunwales. I had to cut holes in my gunwale behind the bolsters to be able to install blocking and access the end of the bolts for nylock nuts.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

overboard

Post by overboard »

I did the same thing, I cut just a big enough access slot to be able to install aluminum angle underneath the bench seat, then made a plate to cover the hole, actually doesn't look bad if done right.