Center of gravity

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimcowboy1978

Reaction score
want to know how to find the center of balance of my hull for designing my new deck system. Below is my prototype decking on my 12' Valco, which is very stern heavy. I can’t get the boat to plane at all.

2FF6B9EF-BEB2-4648-B187-7BE05BBCBC01.jpeg68A98910-2257-4373-A27A-751A3D6922A6.jpeg4C68FB3F-C66E-49AE-8F5F-34EC588B64C0.jpeg9680226C-CD87-4AE5-ABF2-5091276CBC9A.jpeg765BF720-3B05-4CA3-BE47-305731D0BEBC.jpeg

Wow, you got a lot of wood in that thing, may need more horse power.

just get a pc of pvc pipe & have it sideways between boat & ground. Where it balances is Cof G.

A 2x4 will do same thing too.

surfman said:
Wow, you got a lot of wood in that thing, may need more horse power.

Not as much as you would think, I used 2 14’ 2x4s ripped to 2x2, and 1 1/2 sheets of 1/4” ply reinforced with fiberglass resin. But you might be right for getting a larger motor, still need to find the center of gravity so that I’m not swamping the back end while ramping at our steep launches.

Interesting discussion about the center of gravity. If I understand what is being asked it is at what point along the hull is the weight forward of the point equal to the weight aft of the point. That would be the balance point I think CRScooter is talking about.

I've really never given that much thought until it was brought up here. Once you know the balance point, then what? Is it used to distribute any added build weight equally? I'm not following how knowing this will help at the ramp.

I know I'm going to kick myself when I read the answer. Haha

LDUBS said:
Interesting discussion about the center of gravity. If I understand what is being asked it is at what point along the hull is the weight forward of the point equal to the weight aft of the point. That would be the balance point I think CRScooter is talking about.

I've really never given that much thought until it was brought up here. Once you know the balance point, then what? Is it used to distribute any added build weight equally? I'm not following how knowing this will help at the ramp.

I know I'm going to kick myself when I read the answer. Haha
First yes I need to know the center of gravity to build from there. How this will help at the ramp, right now my stern is too heavy and water comes over the transom and swamps the boat. If I have my son standing on the bow, we can keep from swamping it. I moved my batteries from what I thought was dented to the bow, but it only helped marginally. I also have a full cooler that comes with us, that is going to turn into a live well. But first I need to figure out the center of gravity so I can balance everything front to back and side to side

How much do you weigh Slim?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I see 3/4 ply in the pics. That stuff is heavy. How much 3/4 did you add?

thedude said:
I see 3/4 ply in the pics. That stuff is heavy. How much 3/4 did you add?

The only 3/4" ply is on the transom, the rest is roughly 3/8" ply. But in reality doesnt matter because im taking it all out over the winter to remake the deck out of aluminum now that I have a supplier.

Latest posts