Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverman

Reaction score
If i were to buy a 1648 aluminum boat.... (to save money now) could I add a console and steering wheel later?

Yes, I know about the upgraded motor and controls. I have a tiller motor and can use it for a while.

Have any of you done it?

Thanks

I didn’t do it myself, but I had it done. I bought a new bare bones 16x48 and my boat dealer converted my tiller motor, made and installed a center console, a seat, a box to hold batteries and the seat and hooked everything up. $1,000 for all the parts and labor

I have done it. I mounted mine to the front bench seat over what used to be a live well, that's where I keep my trolling motor batteries now. It's a little off center but the steering wheel is fairly well centered in the hull.

If the factory can do it, you certainly should be able to do it. Consoles are available for the do it yourselfer. Just google it and I bet you get a smorgasbord.

Definitely doable. I've done a couple, not too hard. The worst part is the wiring and the steering. If it's anything larger than about 50hp, go with hydraulic steering. MUCH easier to install and once you drive it with hydrualic steering, you'll love it! It does cost a little more though.

Check out the various size consoles at http://www.akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm but with a 1648, I think the Lowe console is the narrowest around 19" wide. My boat had the center console when I got it used but it was farther back than I liked, so I moved it forward. You just need to figure out the length of cables and wiring you will need. If your boat doesn't have a floor, you would need to attach the console where the cross braces are.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 694
Thanks so much for all the ideas and especially the link. This will give me time and money to build a better boat than I could afford from the beginning. A few parts each month instead of financing an expensive rig. :)

Riverman said:
What about buying the controls and cables for a Mercury 25? eBay?

I bought my used control from Ebay and then found a new wiring harness and new cables from Ebay as well. Used wiring can be a real crap shoot so I would look for new stuff. Check your local craigslist as well.

Latest posts