Anyone ever tried mounting the motor slightly off-center?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbottomman

Reaction score
I have thought about moving my outboard a few inches port-side to help level the boat out more when I'm sitting at the tiller. Has anyone ever done that?

Our small jon boat is a 12' with an electric trolling motor on the back. I mount it about 6 inches right of center. I sit about 6" left of center and it makes it much easier to reach the tiller handle.

I have a small 5hp gasoline kicker motor on my 17' boat that is mounted far from center. The main motor is mounted center. When I use the kicker, the boat steers just like any other boat. Being that far from center doesn't hurt anything.

I would shift other weight before I moved the motor. If it's a clamp on motor then doesn't hurt to try. I'd be hesitant to drill new transom holes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

There's quite a few boats that are made like that, designed to have offset mounting. They seem to work. Most of the ones I've seen are 1836, 2036, 2148, etc river boats. Only downside is you get some torque-steer but most of the ones I've seen are under 15hp. And yes...a 15 will plane a 20' 48" boat. They are designed that way.

Latest posts