Access floor hatches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting in some floor , and trying to decide on a piano type hinge or a couple of hinges. Anybody with experience with this?

Either would be fine. Regular hinges cost a lot less - especially if you're looking for hinges in stainless. Piano hinges are much stronger but I don't think you'll need stronger as long as there is a lip to support the hatch, the hinge isn't supporting any weight anyway. I would go with a pair of hinges.

Lots of options https://www.mcmaster.com/hinges

Piano hinges are a little lower profile and cleaner looking.

Regular hinges work fine (it's what my boat has) but the pin bosses stick up quite a bit and can hurt your knees or hands if you land on them.

MrGiggles said:

Regular hinges work fine (it's what my boat has) but the pin bosses stick up quite a bit and can hurt your knees or hands if you land on them.

Flip the hinge so the hinge pin is pointing down.

maintenanceguy said:
MrGiggles said:

Flip the hinge so the hinge pin is pointing down.

Kinda depends on the hinge/hatch but to do that you often have to cut extra clearance in the hatch door to be able to flip them, and when they are turned that way the hatch won't open all the way, which may or may not be a problem.

I recently watched a video of someone putting in offset hinges, that were below the surface. Not sure if these were done on a brake or purchased. But the internet will tell me!

Offset hinges can be purchased. And come in just about any material. I cut off several sections of a 48" stainless, and used them on a wooden door to my studio. Been there for about 4 years. 3/4"×3/4"×3"long.

Latest posts