Seats - structural, or ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natec

Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm the happy owner of a new-to-me Alumacraft boat. According to the title it is a 1974, 15' - however the coast guard plate is missing. I would like to remove one or both of the middle seats and I understand that I need to account for the flotation that would be removed.

I've read a number of great build threads on this site and was looking at different ways that folks have accounted for the lateral structural stability - however when I look at my seats (attached photo) it doesn't appear as though these benches are doing much to hold the sides of the boat rigid. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Nate

Seats.jpg

Nate, I'm sure you will hear opinions.
Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing your progress.
-jasper

natec said:
Good morning,

I'm the happy owner of a new-to-me Alumacraft boat. According to the title it is a 1974, 15' - however the coast guard plate is missing. I would like to remove one or both of the middle seats and I understand that I need to account for the flotation that would be removed.

I've read a number of great build threads on this site and was looking at different ways that folks have accounted for the lateral structural stability - however when I look at my seats (attached photo) it doesn't appear as though these benches are doing much to hold the sides of the boat rigid. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Nate

Seats.jpg

You could test for structural value by hanging the boat from 3 points, bow & transom corners. Measure the width between rub rails at the middle seat. Repeat after removing seat. If there is no change, you are good to go.

They serve to keep the sides from bowing out - here's a decent depiction of what I'm talking about that user Shaugh posted on a similar topic:

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45618&hilit=hull+flex#p457929

I doubt it matters much if you're not using an outboard with it.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You could test for structural value by hanging the boat from 3 points, bow & transom corners. Measure the width between rub rails at the middle seat. Repeat after removing seat. If there is no change, you are good to go.

Thanks - I will give this a try.

Latest posts