Keel Leaking multiple places

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertech1979

Reaction score
Bought a 1994 Lowe 19ft deck boat, trying to make it a solid boat. I stripped everything down to the aluminum deck, and removed the motor. I knew it had a leak when I bought it but didn’t know exactly where. Several old repairs and rivets need repair but nothing major. The keel is 90% of all the leaking, it’s on both sides of the keel and multiples places. Looks like the old repair is bubbling?

What’s the best way to repair?

I was going to grind down to metal and find holes, use brazing rods to repair then put jb weld / similar adhesive over that.

Thoughts?

If there is access to both sides, rebucking rivets often helps tighten things up and I have had a few leaks stop from this alone. As for JB weld, I have had good luck using the steelstik type. It's the solid putty that you knead together and press on like a gob of bubblegum. Make sure surface is clean and shiny. Wire wheel or nyalox brush will accomplish this. Once the stuff has dried, it can be sanded down a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts