Aluminum "Kayak"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960 yellowboat

Reaction score
I have an oppotunity to buy a 8 foot johnboat hull for $50. I was thinking of making it into a hand launch boat for one specific area. I'm too chicken to go the kayak route. The problem is that it's just a bare hull with no seats.I'd have to make a seat out of aluminum and secure it to the sides of the boat and fill it with foam. I'd mount wheels on the back to launch it. I'd rather get a 10 footer but I can't find one down here for cheap.

I've been in an 8 ft jon boat and a kayak. I feel safer in a kayak. I have a 12 ft jon that feels pretty safe.
My golden rule for kayaking is to tether everything as if you are going to tip over. I would definitely do that with an 8 ft jon.
That said, it's $50. you can't beat that. It would just be fun to play with.

A few years ago, someone ofn the forum showed some floatation tubes he'd cobbled for his jon.

I've had a 10 ft jon, and never felt safe in it. With a 29 pound 3 hp Evinrude on the back, no fuel tank, and my (at the time) less than ample butt, there was about a 2-3 inch distance from hull top to water line, in calm waters.

If you're going to get an even small jon, here's an image I saved from the years-ago post.

Best wishes, be safe.

Boat stabilizersB.jpg

An 8 footer may be OK if it's just you and you don't go about the boat like it's 16' long.

FWIW, I've seen a couple of Lowe 1040's up central Fla. (a VERY stable boat) way pretty inexpensively. Look to the spacecoast, and Tampa Craig's list.

Anyway, I hand launch mine regularly from my truck bed where only yakkers can manage to go. I replaced a topper 1032 which was very tippy, stay away from narrow tinnys.

Kismet said:
A few years ago, someone ofn the forum showed some floatation tubes he'd cobbled for his jon.

I've had a 10 ft jon, and never felt safe in it. With a 29 pound 3 hp Evinrude on the back, no fuel tank, and my (at the time) less than ample butt, there was about a 2-3 inch distance from hull top to water line, in calm waters.

If you're going to get an even small jon, here's an image I saved from the years-ago post.

Best wishes, be safe.

Boat stabilizersB.jpg

Here's a guy we towed in that had some floats.

https://youtu.be/ZmKbyzpvSug

Latest posts