Hauling a 12 foot deep v without a trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfralic1

Reaction score
Does anyone haul a large 12 foot deep v aluminum boat on the back of their truck? I currently have a Princecraft Seasprite that I can load on and off my toyota tundra 6.5' box with no issue. Now that the Seasprite is in very poor condition it is time to replace it. I am very interested in a Princecraft Ungava which is a bit bigger. The chine width of this boat is 51" and overall width is 60". Does anyone transport their boat with similar dimensions on their truck bed? I know a trailer would be ideal but I cant get one to where I plan on using it and I need the biggest 12 footer I can get. I will be making a set of flip up wheels for the transom for moving it from the truck to the water will not be an issue. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since you're already toting a similar boat, if you can get it in and keep the bow and stern steady side to side, and you're OK with the overhang from the tailgate you're good to go, just be sure to follow your state cargo protrusion / overhang marking law.

I don't think that the beam at 60" will be your problem, the "V" up front and the overhang off the tailgate may be. My Silverado bed is also 6'6" and with the tailgate down my 10' Lowe Jon still overhangs the tailgate by two feet (3.5' from the back of the truck) and I do not have to flag or illuminate the overhang here in Florida. A 12 footer would overhang the tailgate by 4 feet (5 1/2' from the back of the truck) and I'd have to have lights and a flag on the boat.

From Fla. Statutes...

"Oversized loads can overhang a vehicle by 3 feet to the front, 4 inches to the side and 4 feet to the rear. Flags and lights must be used properly to mark oversized loads"

lowe-boat.jpg

I have a vhull of similar size and used a truck to pick it up from the original owner. We put it in upside down, transom against the cab. It had to lean a on a fender, but, rode fine.

Not sure what it was called but I used to have a mount that went on the hitch of my truck that clamped on the transom of the boat and you could swing it over the top of the truck. The bow of the boat would set on a cargo carrier rack and strap it down to the front of the truck. Worked great but not sure if something like that is even still made.

nytebyte said:
Not sure what it was called but I used to have a mount that went on the hitch of my truck that clamped on the transom of the boat and you could swing it over the top of the truck. The bow of the boat would set on a cargo carrier rack and strap it down to the front of the truck. Worked great but not sure if something like that is even still made.

I have one of those for hauling a canoe on my Toyota Rav 4 roof rack. Still made and quite cheap. I think I paid less than $25 for it via amazon.

My suggestion is this. I know you don't want to put the boat on a trailer but have you considered getting a 5x10 flatbed trailer and hauling the boat that way?
Its a lot easier to get the boat off something that is close to the ground. I use a 4x8 flat to haul my 10 ft john to small waters like you mention. With wheels on the back of the boat, it's a cinch to launch by hand and easy to move down the road.

I've got a 12 ft Sears - would put 2 2x4s on the top of my truck bed and put boat upside down on that.

Then a guy gave me a nice trailer. Trailer is def easier if you have room for that.

Back in the 70's my dodge had an 8' bed which made doing these things a lot easier. I don't know if they even make them anymore but I sure don't see any 8' boxes on pickups these days.

Latest posts