Alumacraft MV1546AW

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBASSGUY

Reaction score
I am contemplating buying this make/model. I would like to hear pros and cons and what people who own(ed) have to say about them. Interested in quality input, fishability and durability especially. I have owned a lot of fiberglass boats over the years and looking for a durable bass fishing machine for smaller ponds, lakes and canals. Looking to try aluminum. Thanks in advance.

There have been a few builds of that model done on this site in recent years. You will just have to search some to dig them back up.

Local place has a couple of those MV1546AW's on the lot. While it's a nice boat, it's also a cheaply built boat, IMO. Only rated for 25hp, hull thickness is .080". If you can swing a little extra cash, look at War Eagle 548LDV which is real similar and has as many or more options, is .100" hull, better built (like a tank), better floor, faster, handles better, and runs smoother & drier in a chop. That was a complaint of another gentleman at the lake who had the MV1546, his kid's got a 548 war eagle and he says he likes it a lot better than the alumacraft.

Does the Alumacraft have a tunnel? War Eagle won't build their 548 with a tunnel-mainly because it aint needed, AND, having run a tunnel, they aren't really "that" much better than a traditional hull; at least with aluminum smaller rigs. Not until you get into a jet outboard. I run mine all the time skinny without a tunnel. Most of those areas are 3-10 foot deep, but you'll be going along just fine and then look over and see water that's maybe 8 or 10 inch deep. Keep the throttle pinned and it just goes right on over. Kind of nerve racking.

I was looking at a brand new bare bones 1648 with a 20" transom. The price on that was 1800, add another 900 for a trailer.
The price for a Lowe 1655 boat only was 7500 just to give you an idea.
Ended up not going with that because I found a used boat that fit my needs.
Alumacraft is kind of like a middle of the road boat. Won't take the beating of a welded boat with 120 gauge metal.
But for lakes and ponds where your not constantly banging bottom it will do fine.
I did own a 1454 Alumacraft with a 9.9hp 4 stroke and it was a nice little boat. "No complaints"

Went to my local Alumacraft Dealer (Moss Marine) which is an 1.5 hour ride. Waited for an hour for the sales guy to return from a sea trial. When he returned he completely blew us off. I've owned 6 other boats and have never been treated so poorly as a prospective customer. So it looks like Alumacraft is off the table. If they are going to exhibit such poor customer service prior to taking my $$$ I can only imagine how bad it could get moving forward. Going to do a little research on that War Eagle.

Latest posts