1959 Alumacraft FD Restoration Project Journal

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

Bought the boat like a year ago and i've been working on it as much as i can.Ive had questions and needed advice which the good people of these forums have helped. WAIT untill you see the transformation this ole tin boat has gone through... IM SUPER excited to show you guys... its incredible!!

I have hundreds of pictures and comments on my experience so ill try to upload as many every day as i can!

also some of the posts i made with pictures are backwards... not this post but the replys to this one i made the pics are backwards because when i uploaded them it posted them like that... so scroll to the bottom then up for them to be in order
Attachments
the anti slip paint was such a pain in the ass to remove .. even tho as you can see there's large parts where the anti slip paint is missing
the anti slip paint was such a pain in the ass to remove .. even tho as you can see there's large parts where the anti slip paint is missing
you can see how dirty it was, and the anti slip paint on the floor
you can see how dirty it was, and the anti slip paint on the floor
20190414_152812.jpg
20190414_152732.jpg
first day i got the boat
first day i got the boat
20190408_165607.jpg
wood on the back transom looks bad..
wood on the back transom looks bad..
rotten transom wood
rotten transom wood
transom wood was rotten..
transom wood was rotten..
20190408_190539.jpg
20190408_190557.jpg
20190408_190608.jpg
Last edited by gwar822 on 21 Jan 2020, 15:56, edited 4 times in total.

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

these pics are backwards, i suggest scroll down and go up....
Attachments
pic of the anchor pully removed
pic of the anchor pully removed
these things where attached with rusted ass bolts and nuts.. i had to drill them out..... super pain in the ass...
these things where attached with rusted ass bolts and nuts.. i had to drill them out..... super pain in the ass...
i wanted to remove this bow hood. IT WAS a pain in the ass to do let me tell you... i did it eventually.
i wanted to remove this bow hood. IT WAS a pain in the ass to do let me tell you... i did it eventually.
20190417_200252.jpg
with that thing removed the brackets slid up and the transom wood was removed. you can see how rotton it is
with that thing removed the brackets slid up and the transom wood was removed. you can see how rotton it is
you can see alll the holes of the rivets i had to drill out... was a pain in the ass.. i drilled out like alllllot of rivets during the whole process
you can see alll the holes of the rivets i had to drill out... was a pain in the ass.. i drilled out like alllllot of rivets during the whole process
ok heres a mistake i was going to make... after i removed the rivets from the transom brackets i couldnt remove them because of this thing in the way so i WAS going to cut it so i could slide the brackets up BUT i decided not to do it like that and mess it up.. so i drilled out the rivets instead, i used jb weld to fix the cuts i mafde with the dremel and now with it painted you wouldnt even know i ever cut it lol... youll see later on
ok heres a mistake i was going to make... after i removed the rivets from the transom brackets i couldnt remove them because of this thing in the way so i WAS going to cut it so i could slide the brackets up BUT i decided not to do it like that and mess it up.. so i drilled out the rivets instead, i used jb weld to fix the cuts i mafde with the dremel and now with it painted you wouldnt even know i ever cut it lol... youll see later on
showing some progress and another angle of transom bracket removal
showing some progress and another angle of transom bracket removal
another pic of the indents i had to make to drill out the rivets on the transom bracket
another pic of the indents i had to make to drill out the rivets on the transom bracket
just showing another pic of the rivets attaching the brackets to the transom, and the small indents i made to drill.
just showing another pic of the rivets attaching the brackets to the transom, and the small indents i made to drill.
drilling out the rivets to the brackets (this is the only way to remove and replace transom
drilling out the rivets to the brackets (this is the only way to remove and replace transom
this is the back of the transom, i show you the small indents where i later drilled these rivets out (this was for the transom brackets)
this is the back of the transom, i show you the small indents where i later drilled these rivets out (this was for the transom brackets)
used a hammer and a tap to make a small indent for the drill bit so it wouldn't slip
used a hammer and a tap to make a small indent for the drill bit so it wouldn't slip
i had to drill out the rivets to these 2 brackets holding the transom wood in.
i had to drill out the rivets to these 2 brackets holding the transom wood in.
rear transom wood, had to take it off later aswell
rear transom wood, had to take it off later aswell
says fd 2810 but it looks like it says GF, lol
says fd 2810 but it looks like it says GF, lol
you can see the anti slip paint on the floor
you can see the anti slip paint on the floor
pic of the transom, it was so rotten, i had to replace it
pic of the transom, it was so rotten, i had to replace it
had a hole on the floor, towards the middle. you can see the keel right next to the hole (i fixed this very good later)
had a hole on the floor, towards the middle. you can see the keel right next to the hole (i fixed this very good later)
the floor of the boat had old anti slip paint that was coming off , super dirty
the floor of the boat had old anti slip paint that was coming off , super dirty
Last edited by gwar822 on 21 Jan 2020, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

these pics are backwards, scroll to the bottom and go up.. sorry... i wish it posted these in the right order lol.
Attachments
someone wrote FD on the under side of the hood in 1959
someone wrote FD on the under side of the hood in 1959
you can see the difference... the nice shiny swirls compared to oxidized dirty aluminum
you can see the difference... the nice shiny swirls compared to oxidized dirty aluminum
boats ready for wire brush
boats ready for wire brush
wire brush time
wire brush time
the anti slip paint is removed
the anti slip paint is removed
you can see the jb weld i used to fix that mistake where i was going to cut that transom brace bar thingie lol
you can see the jb weld i used to fix that mistake where i was going to cut that transom brace bar thingie lol
vacuuming dry anti slip paint that i scrapped off the day before and left to dry
vacuuming dry anti slip paint that i scrapped off the day before and left to dry
when i had removed my first bench
when i had removed my first bench
when i had one last bench seat to remove
when i had one last bench seat to remove
seats off, bow hood off, transom wood off. now im using kwik strip to strip the old anti slip paint off.
seats off, bow hood off, transom wood off. now im using kwik strip to strip the old anti slip paint off.
20190515_200732.jpg
20190515_201029.jpg
i used a small bit to start out which at this point i realised made it easier to do without it slipping. even the hammer and tap wouldnt be good enough sometimes
i used a small bit to start out which at this point i realised made it easier to do without it slipping. even the hammer and tap wouldnt be good enough sometimes
again, i used tap and hammer to make small holes before drilling the rivets out
again, i used tap and hammer to make small holes before drilling the rivets out
i had to drill the rivets out to take the seats out, so i could access the floor to remove the old anti slip paint
i had to drill the rivets out to take the seats out, so i could access the floor to remove the old anti slip paint
20190511_192136.jpg
pic of progress
pic of progress
front of my boat without hood!
front of my boat without hood!
this is the front of the boat inside under the bow hood, you can see the tow ring nuts coming through
this is the front of the boat inside under the bow hood, you can see the tow ring nuts coming through
i had to drill the screws / nuts
i had to drill the screws / nuts

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

more pics (in order this time)
Attachments
20190425_185525.jpg
20190425_185528.jpg
20190425_185547.jpg
im using a wire brush on a drill to clean around all the rivets
im using a wire brush on a drill to clean around all the rivets
wire brushed and cleaning off old jb weld
wire brushed and cleaning off old jb weld
old jb weld or somthing that the rpevious owner used to seal some leaks. i wire brushed it off and prepped it for gluvit
old jb weld or somthing that the rpevious owner used to seal some leaks. i wire brushed it off and prepped it for gluvit
close up on the hole
close up on the hole
the hole as shown from under the boat, you can see the keel
the hole as shown from under the boat, you can see the keel
beer can patch
beer can patch
hole, and patch made from aluminum can ( has to be from a beer can or your boat will sink) jk...
hole, and patch made from aluminum can ( has to be from a beer can or your boat will sink) jk...
the round aluminum patch i made, you cant even tell there was a hole lol..
the round aluminum patch i made, you cant even tell there was a hole lol..
jb weld to attach the aluminum can patch i made
jb weld to attach the aluminum can patch i made
Last edited by gwar822 on 21 Jan 2020, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

more pics!
Attachments
i also used gluvit around the seams and the hardware to make sure its sealed
i also used gluvit around the seams and the hardware to make sure its sealed
i put stainless steel hardware to secure the tow ring thingie
i put stainless steel hardware to secure the tow ring thingie
showing the gluvit i applied around some rivets
showing the gluvit i applied around some rivets
another close up
another close up
close up of the seal gluvit makes around a rivet
close up of the seal gluvit makes around a rivet
sanding the gluvit
sanding the gluvit
after i applied gluvit to all the rivets (and seams) i hads to sand them a little bit before i put primer
after i applied gluvit to all the rivets (and seams) i hads to sand them a little bit before i put primer
i bought these syringes at tractor supply, i used a drill to make the opening larger so i could easily apply gluvit (highly recommended product btw)
i bought these syringes at tractor supply, i used a drill to make the opening larger so i could easily apply gluvit (highly recommended product btw)
20191007_184442.jpg
i used gluvit around ev ery single rivet... both on the inside and outside...
i used gluvit around ev ery single rivet... both on the inside and outside...

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

more pics
Attachments
20191007_184448.jpg
i used a paint brush to make sure the gluvit was applied perfectly
i used a paint brush to make sure the gluvit was applied perfectly
pic of all the gluvit / rivets
pic of all the gluvit / rivets
20191010_184322.jpg
gluvit!
gluvit!
20191010_184337.jpg
20191010_184340.jpg
20191010_184345.jpg
i used tape allot to keep the gluvit from running down the boat, it worked great i was able to gluvit the seams
i used tape allot to keep the gluvit from running down the boat, it worked great i was able to gluvit the seams
some jb weld filling in some scratches / pits
some jb weld filling in some scratches / pits
gluvit on the rivets
gluvit on the rivets
the hood primed
the hood primed
the thing i cut, fixed and primed
the thing i cut, fixed and primed
primed the transom brackets and the thing that i cut and fixed with jb weld
primed the transom brackets and the thing that i cut and fixed with jb weld

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

updated pics
Attachments
i had to let the seats dry inside from humidity (florida)
i had to let the seats dry inside from humidity (florida)
primed seats and hood
primed seats and hood
primed seats
primed seats
20191118_175528.jpg
jb weld in all the pits, you can see the black dots.. there was pitting from the plywood transom that was on
jb weld in all the pits, you can see the black dots.. there was pitting from the plywood transom that was on
back transom cleaned up
back transom cleaned up
seats primed
seats primed
20191120_132939.jpg
20191120_133201.jpg
i had a transom made from white oak like it was originally. (getting the right thickness and size was kind of hard... i had a woodworker do it for me otherwise id be screwed
i had a transom made from white oak like it was originally. (getting the right thickness and size was kind of hard... i had a woodworker do it for me otherwise id be screwed
20191120_174939.jpg
20191120_174943.jpg

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

ok i used total boat 2 part epoxy.
total boat wet edge sea foam and total boat wet edge aqua mist

the inside of the boat will be aqua mist and the outside seafoam. except im going paint the bench seats the same color as the outside of the boat (seafoam) aswell as the oar lock mounts to accent the boat, i think it will come out nice and give it some depth
Attachments
just pics showing the primed inside
20191122_172527.jpg
20191122_172528.jpg
20191122_172538.jpg
20191122_172552.jpg
these bench seat braces will be primed and painted sunburst yellow... wat untill you see it all complete it will look so cool
these bench seat braces will be primed and painted sunburst yellow... wat untill you see it all complete it will look so cool
20191213_150036.jpg
20191216_215305.jpg
just showing all the tape i put before painting
just showing all the tape i put before painting

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

getting close to finishing the inside..
Attachments
used foam applicators to do around the rivets and ribes and seams
the gunwales are painted seafoam, looks white but its not
20191219_182555.jpg
transom brackets painted
transom brackets painted

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

the dark color is seafoam and light color is aqua mist, i get the names confused lol... but yeah... im in florida and i want to use this boat in both fresh water and salt. the color scheme to me is perfect.. i like the bright colors they use in the bahamas and caribbean, i have some yellow im going to add to the bench seat brackets and the transom brace thingie, i dont know what its called but its the thing i cut and then i had to jb weld it and fix it

this is the end of my progress so far, ill post more updates when i can. next is to put more coats of paint on the inside, and then prep and prime the outside of the boat to be ready for paint.

i need to buy new stainless steel hardware to replace all the rivets i had to drill out, and i have to fit in the transom wood.

the boat came with a 1978 15hp evinrude which i had completely serviced and its ready to go. the compression is good too, this engine will last ,me forever! Ohh also the gluvit is amazing i suggest it. i filled the boat up with water and there was no leaks at all, when before there was many leaks like 15 spots, from seams and rivets
Attachments
20200117_191045.jpg
20200117_191110.jpg
the contrasting colors. the seafoam and aquamist.. the bench seats are painted the lighter color as will the outside of the boat. cant wait to see it come together!
the contrasting colors. the seafoam and aquamist.. the bench seats are painted the lighter color as will the outside of the boat. cant wait to see it come together!
20200120_160208.jpg
20200120_160237.jpg
20200120_160244.jpg
20200120_160248.jpg
20200120_160251.jpg
20200120_160302.jpg
20200120_160304.jpg
20200120_160309.jpg
20200120_160321.jpg
20200120_160323.jpg

samuelh1987

Post by samuelh1987 »

love the color scheme!

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

Nice job. Your attention to detail sure comes through. BTW, those transom brackets on your boat are really heavy duty!
Have Rod - Will Fish

gwar822

Post by gwar822 »

Couple more pics
Attachments
20200122_153010.jpg
This is the yellow the seat braces will be, and the transom brace thingie I cut and fixed
This is the yellow the seat braces will be, and the transom brace thingie I cut and fixed
20200122_145610.jpg
20200122_145605.jpg
Here's a seat to show how the contrasting colors will look.
Here's a seat to show how the contrasting colors will look.

muddybanks

Post by muddybanks »

Wow amazing job so far. I just picked up the same boat tonight complete with aluminum bow deck and all.mine also needs some love so I'll be following this one as you go.

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Very nice job.