Transom Material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I apologize, I'm sure this has been rehashed many times here, but I'm having trouble deciding.

I pulled the transom out of my 17' Tracker, it was well overdue. It is right at 1 1/4" thick, so two pieces of 5/8 ply sandwhiched together should be just about perfect.

The closest Menards does have some marine ply in stock, but only in 3/4", which will not work. 5/8 is special order and will take more than a week to arrive.

Otherwise, they have regular CDX sheathing and BCX sanded in 5/8. Would either of these work?

Additionally, what is the best coating to apply before I drop it in?

Exterior has the same glue as marine. The difference is that marine has no voids. I assume BCX has less voids than CDX, so that would be my choice, assuming it is in budget.

There is more than 1 way to waterproof it. Epoxy coatings, Old timers formula, paint. Do some reading. Chances are it will outlast your ownership with any of the methods.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Exterior has the same glue as marine. The difference is that marine has no voids. I assume BCX has less voids than CDX, so that would be my choice, assuming it is in budget.

There is more than 1 way to waterproof it. Epoxy coatings, Old timers formula, paint. Do some reading. Chances are it will outlast your ownership with any of the methods.

BCX is only marginally more expensive than CDX, and less than half the price of marine.

In regards of coating it. I am working on a Tracker v17 and used Coat It. The stuff is amazing not only waterproofs it but also strengthens the wood .

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-5400040-Waterproof-Protector/dp/B083ZDYPDJ I coated the underside of all the wood in my boat and transom with it.

Latest posts