Keel repair (alumacraft FD)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddybanks

Reaction score
So I've been bit by the boat bug and have picked up two vintage 14ft alumacraft v hulls in the last two weeks. A model A and a model FD. When loading up the FD last night i was looking over the needed repairs and most of it is what i expected (transom, some dents and poorly repaired holes) But two of the keels are snaped at the rear of the boat. Now they aren't loose, but i feel like i need to do something about this? Any ideas? Epoxy filler or weld?

20200204_160136.jpg20200204_160142.jpgScreenshot_20200204-203442_craigslist.jpg

I would weld that, but that is what I do. One caution is that the heat could possibly cause a leak at the transom. I wouldn't try to weld the keel to the hull just the bits back together. It looks as though this boat may have been trailered with a motor bouncing. Make sure the bunk boards extend past the transom when on the trailer and support the motor with either a transom saver or ratchet strap it forward to keep it from bouncing. If you don't eliminate the flexing, it will just break again. Cool old boat.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yep, drill holes on either side of the crack and rivet it back down. Should probably add backing washers on the inside to prevent them from pulling through, lots of stress in that area.

Thanks for your input guys, i think im going to use some stainless machine screws to persuade the cracks closed and a good glob of jb weld underneath.