Too far gone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takern

Reaction score
Just noticed this significant amount of pitting and corrosion on a boat I bought not too long ago. Not really sure how I didn’t see all this before hand but that doesn’t really matter at this point. I’ve done a bit of digging but can’t really find any reference pictures from repair discussions to see where this falls. My thought right now is due to its size I’ll need to get someone to weld a new strip on it. There is a identical spot on the other side of the boat as well. Any opinions on if it’s too far gone?

Attachments

• A11BF72D-B2ED-4650-93A4-554D9CA4DED0.jpeg
    A11BF72D-B2ED-4650-93A4-554D9CA4DED0.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 274
You can clean it up and apply jb weld smoothing it over the area with a paint scrapper so the jb weld goes into the pitting. Let it dry then sand it down a little so its even. That would probably work in strengthening it and preventing further pitting. The pitting was probably from the treated wood bunks and the carpet. The carpet holds water and it caused the pitting.. maybe im not sure though. But yeah you could use jb weld or something similar to fill the pits and then sand it even

Thanks for the inputs. I’ll look into some aluminum soecific epoxy. Nothing has got through the hull yet just weary of adding anything that might aggravate it. Learned that lesson the hard way many moons ago

you could also sand back the affected spot, primer, apply some 5200, and rivet a piece of aluminum to cover the area if its a major concern.