Which boat cover?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfried

Reaction score
For my 1448 Polar Kraft jon boat. There are plenty of options out there. Is there a type of fabric or brand I should steer clear of? Is there a one you'd recommend? The boat will be outside in the elements in Indiana, not in a garage or carport.

thanks!

Do you intend to use the cover while you are towing it? If it’s just going to be used in storage, it doesn’t really matter which one you get. While towing is another story. I gave up using a cover for travel. Unless the cover is custom made (mine weren’t) None of them will fit perfectly and be difficult to tie them down so they don’t flap around and destroy themselves.

The custom fit covers are nice but pricey. On my last two boats I've used Carver brand covers and like them a lot. I just use the generic fit, which I think they call flex fit (but could be wrong). Cost was just under $150 for my 18' walk-through. The material is poly flex. Some kind of polyester fabric I guess. Add a support pole and straps to keep rain from pooling on the cover.

I've been very happy with these covers. But I would not recommend this particular one be used while trailering the boat down the highway.

I use a tarp. A 12 mil heavy duty one from ebay runs $35 for a 10' x 20'. This fits well on my 1648 using two saw horses and a 2 x 8 running between for support. I tie it down using bungees and it holds up to heavy wind, rain and snow without issue. Keeps my boat bone dry and blocks out harmful UV light from the sun. It'll last about 3 years before needing replaced. This is the one I use. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-OFF-2-12-mil-Heavy-Duty-Canopy-Tarp-SILVER-3pl-Coated-Tent-Car-Boat-Cover/171336158732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Latest posts