How to properly seal a shut off valve?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
I'm working on making an oil catch can out of an old seafoam metal bottle. It will be sitting vertically as it would on the shelf at the auto parts store. I want to add an inline valve to the bottom so when the can fills with oil I can turn the valve and drain the oil. What is the proper procedure to drill a hole, install the valve and have it seal properly to keep oil from leaking? Also, I posted a picture of the valve I think I need but definitely welcome the advice of those more knowledgeable than I.

Attachments

• sea foam.jpeg
    sea foam.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 125
  • shut off valve.jpg
    shut off valve.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 125
The wall thickness of that can is too thin to make any threads.

Maybe buy an actual catch can?

Or just pull out the fill hose when you need to drain it by pouring?

BTW, where is the oil coming from that you are catching?

Cabin fever setting in already so I am back on this. . .

If you want to use the seafoam can, why not just cut the bottom off & unscrew the cp when you want to drain it? No valve needed.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Get a bulkhead pipe fitting to go through the can.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That looks like it would work but I have changed my mind and decided against a valve.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Cabin fever setting in already so I am back on this. . .

If you want to use the seafoam can, why not just cut the bottom off & unscrew the cp when you want to drain it? No valve needed.

I am going to do something like that instead. I have decided against the valve at the bottom. The project is a home made boat motor, the bottom being an Evinrude 6hp and the power head being a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine from a pressure washer. I removed the stock air box and added a cone filter. For the breather setup I have a hose running up past the cone filter with a two way filter on top. On my last test run I noticed that after running for a while oil was starting to come out of that two way filter a bit and I do not want to spill any oil in the lake, hence the catch can. I definitely could buy a catch can but as you might have guessed, I enjoy building things and had an old can of seafoam laying around. My current idea for the can is to have it sit with the cap at top like it would on the shelf and drill a hole near the top for the breather filter and then drill the cap and run the hose coming from the engine's breather into the can almost to the bottom. I should be able to unscrew the bottle from the cap when the time comes to drain it.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Please post pictures. Sounds like a cool project!

Thank you :) I have tons of pictures but I will try and narrow it down to the highlights. I posted the Evinrude how I got it and the donor pressure washer, a couple of exhaust making pics, a midway picture and the last two are pretty much how it is today. I had to strengthen the actual engine mount over the winter. The last pic is from a few weeks ago. I've had a lot of fun building it. It has had many challenges along the way and I hope I'm down to the last bug or two haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200226-170232_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200226-170232_Gallery.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 68
  • motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • motor6.jpg
    motor6.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 68
  • motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg