HOMEBREW BOAT CONSOLE PLANS??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Do any of our members, who may be reading this thread, have plans for a side -steering station/console, that they are willing to share with me??
(After more than 10 days of looking all over Texas, I've found NO suitable console that I can afford to purchase.)
NOTE: One local man from near San Antonio has a fiberglass console out of a junked boat,, that he said that he would sell me at a "sacrifice" for only 800.oo cash.
(I had to LOL.)

IF I don't have to, I'd sooner not have to "reinvent the wheel" & hope that someone has a plan for a console that can be homebuilt & is suitable for the remodeling job that I'm planning on the 16 foot STARCRAFT SUPERSPORTS into a "dedicated saltwater fishing machine" that is somewhat like the old mid-to-late 1960s STARCRAFT SPORTSMAN.

THANKS for reading this.

yours, tex.

Probably build one out of wood and carpet for $100 in materials and some time. Wouldn't hurt to draw up what you want and see what a local fab shop could do out of aluminum.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have used floor underlayment plywood (usually just under 1/4 inch thickness) for a number of projects. You can fibreglass it (I prefer epoxy resin) to join corners & also weatherproof it. Light weigh & stiff.

T-h marine sells aluminum ones like jon boat style for i believe around 200? I think i saw them on ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

$800 for a side console - Yikes! It must have been one very special side console.

If you are going to build yourself I like CedarRiver's idea of glassing over 1/4 ply.

I know you are looking for plans, which I do not have. Instead I wanted to point out another possible option. TinBoat.net sponsor A.K. McCallum has 3 or four models they sell on their site.

Here is an example one they have:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.20.02 AM.png

ldubs,

yep. 800 BUCKS & it was NOTHING SPECIAL. -- The gauges were GONE.

I couldn't decide if he was a dunce OR if he thought that I was. = Was the "sacrifice" that he mentioned a HUMAN SACRIFICE??
(CHUCKLE)

yours, tex

satx78247 said:
ldubs,

yep. 800 BUCKS & it was NOTHING SPECIAL. -- The gauges were GONE.

I couldn't decide if he was a dunce OR if he thought that I was. = Was the "sacrifice" that he mentioned a HUMAN SACRIFICE??
(CHUCKLE)

yours, tex
:LOL2:

That's too funny that guy wanted that much for a used console. I was in a dealer and asked for a quote on a new one with a windshield and gauges for a new style crestliner he said probably 1000 to 1200... I declined and his exact quote...."guys junk out boats on ebay all the time you can probably get one cheap enough"

does anyone know, if on those aluminum pre-fab ones, are the angles the same on both front and wheel mount? As in like I could flip it and use one on the port side, dual console set up?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

450clown,

Well it's Sunday, 03MAY20 & I'm STILL LOOKING for a used side console (at a reasonable price) OR plans for one & have found ZILCH. :(

yours, tex

satx78247 said:
450clown,

Well it's Sunday, 03MAY20 & I'm STILL LOOKING for a used side console (at a reasonable price) OR plans for one & have found ZILCH. :(

yours, tex
I don't know how to upload a link but ebay has the th marine style. Also that place named after a rain forest. Hope that may help you sir,also I pmed you with one I have, but it's pretty ruff.
bd1e07f7bf9d504591cbdc8107e777aa.jpg
0d03f7dd7f2617a85f6d36b750a0205d.jpg

Ebay 269
Amazon 230 free shipping sorry my picture came out horrible

Dear Jim,

I just had a thought, AKA: a BRIGHT IDEA ( ODD for me!!). = Do we have state/county/city chapters of our group??

IF we do, I would help organize a SOUTH TEXAS Chapter, presuming that we have several members here, say from El Paso to Waco to Livingston & south to the Texas/Mexico border??

yours, tex

Sorry I couldn't help you out tex, I don't know that there is a better option than the new aluminum ones from T-H MARINE. You could probably get your daughter to order it for you. I think it'd be tuff to find a shop to bend and weld one for much less but I have no idea.... it may be time for a new smart phone so you can upload pictures and receive Internet links through text and what not. It was good talking to you though and your project build sounds very interesting.
Here's another option bills boat stuff: 573-693-7310
a2fdddb97fad1b8a1f12ed69b36a13d3.jpg

450clown said:
Sorry I couldn't help you out tex, I don't know that there is a better option than the new aluminum ones from T-H MARINE. You could probably get your daughter to order it for you. I think it'd be tuff to find a shop to bend and weld one for much less but I have no idea.... it may be time for a new smart phone so you can upload pictures and receive Internet links through text and what not. It was good talking to you though and your project build sounds very interesting.
Here's another option bills boat stuff: 573-693-7310
a2fdddb97fad1b8a1f12ed69b36a13d3.jpg

Those Alum side consoles for $200 look like a pretty decent deal (no idea about S&H). Building one from light ply with glass over is probably going to push towards that in materials.

SATex, lacking store bought plans, you could always go to the boat with a straight edge, bevel gage and large pieces of cardboard to do a mock-up. Basically make your own plans and get a perfect fit. Good luck with the project.

If you look at the Tracker Grizzly website and look at the 1860 Jon boat you will see they have an option to add a console.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/features_options.cfm?boat=4935

I have been looking for years for an affordable fiberglass console and there's nothing available.

beetlespin,

I've noticed. Thus my request for a plan to build my own. - Starting with a plan & modifying it to suit is generally easier than "reinventing the wheel".

The other choice is finding a junked boat & scrounging much of what you need before the junker is cut up. = My cousin, a school chum & I stripped out an trashed deck-boat for the parts to repair/remodel Randy's 22-foot fishing rig. = I think we spent about 200.oo out of pocket on the remodel job, plus the cost of paint, sandpaper, plastic drop-cloths, etc.

Despite what is often heard on a lot of boating forums as "expert advice", boating need NOT be only for the country club set. = Us hillbillies can have almost as much fun on the water as the wealthy can, using a moderate amount of cash & considerable "sweat equity".

yours, tex

Well there is more to it than I'd be willing to save a few bucks. To actually build an aluminum console, you'd have to buy sheet aluminum or scrounge for a road sign or 2. Make a pattern, homebrew or buy a bench mount metal brake (harbor frieght 50.) Have a tig welder, or pay a weld shop, or buy aluminum angle and tons of rivets. To do fiberglass you'd have to buy a sheet of 1/4 plywood. Maybe also 1/2 to put where steering gearbox goes and gauges switch panels. Then buy fiberglass cloth, epoxy, brushes,small rollers and a hole saw set, and switch mounting locations. Plus your time..... and be itchy from sanding smoothing and cutting the fiberglass cloth
Also I saw on ebay last night fiberglass center console set ups for 348 if that helps you out tex
In my mind, after all this I don't think you would save very much, but again this is just my opinion.....and everybody likes to do things they're own way!
If you do decide to build your own, please post up pics of it for the rest of us!

Latest posts