Tin Boat Revamp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcc

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been lurking for a while, decided it was time to create an account and ask for some help! I am going to be revamping an old 14ft deep V from my childhood.

LnOue7j.jpg

I am planning on sanding it down and repainting it with Rustoleum enamel. There are some spots where it has chipped down to aluminum, will I have to prime it with the self etching to get the pain to stick?
gSwLdpM.jpg

FL5wHbO.jpg

It does have a small leak somewhere and over the many years of this boats lifespan it has been sealed many times. I am planning on sanding this down and using GLUVIT to seal and cracks. I was going to use the GLUVIT on the outside and any left over on the inside, will that work?

xGAc5KE.jpg

vx2EIyH.jpg

DGDzxmA.jpg

Once that is done I will clean the non painted aluminum and then polish it. :D

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

Sanding sounds like quite the chore and messy. Might you be able to use some type of paint remover?
Smelly but less worry about inhaling alot of debris etc? I only ask because I've not had to do this yet. I like keeping the bare look vs painted.

Never used GLUVIT myself but I ended up using an epoxy after alot of research. Would mix it up warm with syringes and has held up amazing!
650-8 G/Flex Epoxy is the specific type i used.

For metal polishing I've always just used Mothers mag & aluminum polish. What do you use?

AquaKing said:
Sanding sounds like quite the chore and messy. Might you be able to use some type of paint remover?
Smelly but less worry about inhaling alot of debris etc? I only ask because I've not had to do this yet. I like keeping the bare look vs painted.

Never used GLUVIT myself but I ended up using an epoxy after alot of research. Would mix it up warm with syringes and has held up amazing!

For metal polishing I've always just used Mothers mag & aluminum polish. What do you use?

I was not planning on sanding it down to aluminum. Originally I was, but then I figured I could sand down a little and repaint over the existing paint.

kmcc said:
AquaKing said:

I was not planning on sanding it down to aluminum. Originally I was, but then I figured I could sand down a little and repaint over the existing paint.

The way its flaking I would assuming hitting it lightly then repainting it would just fail again sooner than later? Oh! What about a sand blaster?! haha

As far as the leaks I have had very good luck just rebucking the rivets. Find them by adding a few inches of water in the boat and look under it to find them. I like to bring the old boats back to life and have done many. So far just tightening up the rivets has taken care of all the leaks in my boats. Maybe just lucky but so far so good.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
This how I did mine
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42660

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I read and looked at all your pics. Appreciate it.

What chemical did you use to strip the paint?

Can you expand on the "Tried the cling wrap over the stripper trick tonight. Worked way better."

Thanks!!!

I used D super stripper available here in Canada at Canadian Tire. Aircraft stripper is the best from napa but hard to find in Canada. I had 4 coats of paint to strip and the stripper would dry before penetrating. A trick is to apply stripper to a section and cover it with plastic wrap to prevent drying. It will stay wet longer and penetrate the paint. It's not always necessary. If it's only one coat of paint I'd just see how the stripper does.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts