Jon Boat tar removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecm4

Reaction score
Found a old jon boat for free. It had leaking rivets around the seats. Someone just covered the bottom with tar to try to keep it from leaking. I want to remove all the tar and replace the rivets. Has anyone ever tried to remove tar from aluminum before? Any tips on how to get the boat cleaned off? Its covered in a really thick coat around the rivets.

One smelly way to do it is a blow torch and an old, throw away putty knife.

Sounds painstaking, but like you, i would really want to see the condition under all that mess!

I haven't done it but...lots of solvents cut tar. I'd try to scrape off as much as I could with a putty knife after letting it sit in the hot sun for a while. Naptha doesn't evaporate away as fast as most other solvents so I'd use that and scrub with disposable rags until it was clean. A pressure washer might make some progress but be careful where the overspray goes.

Try paint stripper. I had a boat that someone sprayed a heap of flexseal in and the paint stripper loosened it up.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts